Sludge Problem Over Owner Had Emissions Test Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally finished my second sludge application.
The car runs great and feels very lively for a 130 hp four cylinder.
When I drained the oil alot of crud was present in the drain pan.
I am very happy with the end results.(94 Toyota Camry)
Thanks all.

Just had the car inpected and the results were amazing.
The car passed like a new car.
The NOx was a 100 with the standard being 1006 and the HC's were a 4 with the standard being 132.
I firmly believe ARX helped a lot in cleaning out this 15 year old car that was a daily driver for 13 years of its life in city stop and go traffic.
Thanks Frank.

Last edited:
Although I never had any sludge in my former S-10 truck(4.3 lt.) my emission results were best at 125K on the clock after a cleaning and rinse. Particularly hydrocarbon emissions.

How does Auto-Rx reduce emmisions. Is it because:

1) Clean engines have less junk that decreases emmisions.
2) Valve seals are more pliable so no oil is getting into the combustion chamber.

I always thought emmisions were affected by how efficient your combustion chamber in the heads were at burning fuel. Emmisions does come from unburnt fuel, right.

Yes. Emissions are the byproduct of burnt fuel.

Oddly enough oilurning does not show up all that dramatically in emissions testing. Really only looking at how well the fuel is being combusted.

Clean motors tend to be more efficient over time. Some motors by design emit less than others.

Are we saying that engines that have more efficient combustion chambers emit less emmisions.

An example would be a small block chevy cylinder head from the 1970's versus a cylinder head from the LS3 engine on the new Corvette.

How about higher combustion pressure due to better ring sealing? Does this cause the HC's to be lower? Not sure, but I have to believe that better ring sealing allows less oil (HC's) to get in the CC and be burned with the fuel. This alone would show much less HC in an emissions test. Also, a properly working catalyst helps a bunch!

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
How about higher combustion pressure due to better ring sealing? Does this cause the HC's to be lower? Not sure, but I have to believe that better ring sealing allows less oil (HC's) to get in the CC and be burned with the fuel. This alone would show much less HC in an emissions test. Also, a properly working catalyst helps a bunch!

That's what I was thinking

If valve seals totally sealed, what would lubricate the valve stems and guides?
There is no way a chemical is going to somehow soften a modern valve stem seal's material. that is an incorrect statement that is commonly made here. I do believe a chemical could clean the valve stem and seal partially restoring its function.

Link to Dana

Link to Fel-Pro

Quote:
There is no way a chemical is going to somehow soften a modern valve stem seal's material. that is an incorrect statement that is commonly made here. I do believe a chemical could clean the valve stem and seal partially restoring its function.

So the entire HM movement is pure marketing? GRANTED - I'm adding a bit of extended implication to your assertion here ..but seal swelling and softening has been (more or less) exchanged freely with "conditioning" for quite some time.

Valve stem seals are almost all made of viton, a fluoropolymer and are impervious to most all automotive chemicals. AFAIK anything you add to "soften" or "swell" this type of material is going to destroy it. That would be adding ketones or organic acids added to your crankcase and, from what I understand, ARX is fatty acids and esters. Buna-N and neoprene are common seal materials and are not as chemical resistant and could potentially be "conditioned"

Frank himself has mentioned several times that ARX does not condition or swell seals, only cleans the sealing surfaces.

Quote:
Valve stem seals are almost all made of viton

For how long on the OEM level? I agree that viton is a great chemically inert material ..or at least I reason due to it being the preferred material for everything from ball valves to check valves
21.gif

Quote:
Frank himself has mentioned several times that ARX does not condition or swell seals, only cleans the sealing surfaces.

I'm not in dispute of anything Frank said. I merely pointed out ..and you have more or less confirmed, that the entire HM market is basically vapor marketing as they clearly depict valve seals as a primary target of their "conditioning" agents.

Now if they're targeting older cars ..perhaps those that were not recipients of viton valve stem seals ..then they're okay to go about their merry business promoting the non-myth.

Frank would be in the same upper tier community of asserting that Auto-Rx would impact seal condition unless the HM marketing is FOS.

That's all I'm saying
21.gif

I remember changing valve stem seals (umbrella seals) in Ford Engines from the mid 60's and 70's. They were as hard and brittle as glass, and would typically break off in chunks. We replaced them with the green neoprene seals. I don't think there would be anything that could have softened them up once they were in the glass like state. I wonder if there is anything now that could have kept those old seals used back then soft and pliable?

Frank D

Back in the mid 60's and 70's isn't it true that the gas and oil was not up to the standards that it is today.

I remember when Viton seals came out on the ZZ-4 350 and that was in 1991.

Today oil and gas are up to much higher standards. My question is if there is anything made today that could keep those old seals soft, or is it the evolution of rubber/plastic products, as well as the newer oils that keeps them pliable. Probably a combo of the two.

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back