I thought 640K would be enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NewEgg is selling complete Cyberpower PC using Intel's new i7 chip with 12GB of RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227120

Oh my!
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

They go all out on the components but still use the dinky stock CPU fan? And no SLI?

I doubt that any game (since this is a "gaming computer") would need 12GB of ram. It would still get bottlenecked by the single video card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: toytundranator
They go all out on the components but still use the dinky stock CPU fan? And no SLI?

I doubt that any game would need 12GB of ram. It would still get bottlenecked by the single video card.

Huh?

RAM is for running multiple programs and things like video editing and Photoshop; programs that chew through RAM. Gamers only need a moderate amount of RAM and a crazy video card. They've stuck 12GB in there because it's cheap, and big numbers appeal to people
grin2.gif

Stock CPU Fan?

My STOCK fan on my Core2Quad would handle it at 3.0Ghz (it's a 2.4Ghz Q6600) and many enthusiasts opt for water cooling, so it's probably in their best interest to include the FREE Intel HSF.

Intel Chipsets do not (officially; there was a modded driver that had it working) support SLI. They support ATI Crossfire.

In regards to the OP:

One of the servers I manage has 16GB of RAM; along with a pair of quad-core XEONS. It uses all 8-cores and all 16GB. It's used for datamining and database management. Runs Ubuntu Server (64-bit of course).

With the price of RAM, it's no surprise seeing this; just makes Vista seem less bloated
wink.gif

I know what RAM means already, but I agree with you. Games don't need that much RAM, even 4GB is too much, but once you get into photo and video editing then that's where lots of RAM is needed.

The new X58 chipsets do support SLI and Crossfire. If you look at some of the reviews of the motherboards (like the Asus P6T deluxe) they are now SLI certified.

Nice, Intel finally got the go ahead! That's sweet! They've always been capable (hence the previous driver hack) but NVidia had prohibited (and did not provide) official support for it. Guess they finally changed their mind!

When that chipset was "in the works", and even after, when boards were first being prepared for shipping, I don't recall this being advertised. I'll see if I can dig up the official date.

Yes, that's been in the works for a long time. Though it didn't stop them from beating the snot out of AMD in performance with the core-series CPU's anyways.... I remember many basing much of the P4's performance "problems" on this feature.....Or rather, the lack thereof.

Overkill, I hear about servers with 16GB of RAM. I got my 1st box with 24GB of RAM early in '07. I was a VERY happy camper! Dell PE2900 2 x 2.66QC running SLES 10 to host a myraid a of VM's. Sadly, politics has kept the box from being used as it could...only have 7 VM's on it now.

The little Asus 1U RS120 4-drive models are fantastic for the price, about $600 from NewEgg. Add a 3Ware 9550 controller & battery backup unit, 4 VelociRaptors, *only* 8 GB RAM, and a QC 2.46ghz q6600, one has a great box for under $2K. With two out of four planned for VM production use actuall in production, has given us time to kick the tires on them.

With *only* 8GB RAM, these things scream...not as much as that PE2900, but it's still close. Comparing the Asus 120 1U with a Dell 1U PE850 (3.6Ghz w/HT) with two SCSI disks and another like model with SATA drives, both in RAID-1 config, both with Dell PERC cards, there is not much to be said other than "WOW"! I can't believe we even tried to use a P4 for Virutualization. Sure that's all anyone had, but man oh man, the performance difference between the Asus and older Dell "pizza" box 1U server models was striking.

Even SuSe 11.0 x64, which is slow in it's own right, was faster running under WIndows 2003 on the Asus RS120 than it running natively on the old box.

I heard that iNtel has brought back HT for these new i7 series CPU's. Is that true!?!?

I heard that as well; so in theory a quad would show up as EIGHT CPU's
grin2.gif

The server I mentioned was an ASUS RS160, fantastic box. 2x500GB Seagate 32MB/7200RPM drivers and two of the 32MB 1GB drives. It runs balls-to-the-wall all day long for the owner; really impressed with it's performance.

Quote:

I heard that as well; so in theory a quad would show up as EIGHT CPU's

Take a look at Sun's T2 Chip; 1 chip, 8 FPU's 8 cores and 64 threads of execution (virtual CPU's) Primarily designed for massive thread execution on small jobs (web, oracle ldap queries)

Of course on some machines they put 4 in a chassis 8)

Playing with a 64Gb one now....

Last edited:
Yes, SUN's equipment is psychotic. DEC used to be right up there with their Alpha stuff before Compaq bought them and basically doomed them.

SGI has some PHENOMENAL setups as well, but, as with SUN, you are paying for it. I had an SGI box in school; fantastic equipment and OS.

I do. In the past week, I've installed the following for customers or demos:

1 X6000 blade server with 3 SPARC-T2 blades and 3 AMD (don't recall which specific model0 blades, all running Solaris 10.

6 T5220 CoolThreads servers.

2 V890's, fully loaded with dual core procs.

2 E2900's, fully loaded with dual core procs, 192GB RAM each.

I have a few customers who have E25000's as well. I have installs for two M9000's, two M8000's and some large storage waiting until the customer can get the power to run the new gear.

So yeah, I love Sun. I've been working either with them, or for them since 1992, when the OS was being loaded from TAPE, and you could still build your own kernels :)

That is PIMP!!! I'm not, admittedly, all that familiar with their hardware. Their OS, yes, I've been using it for more than a decade.

I'm quite familiar with SGI stuff though because we had it at school
grin2.gif
I don't know if I could ever justify the price of an SGI box for the home
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back