Cracked Coolant Expansion Tank on Ford Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having problems on my 2001 Taurus with 124,000 miles with losing coolant but not seeing a obvious leak anywhere. I could at times smell the coolant but its source was hard to find. I finally took it in and they found the bottom of the coolant tank had a small crack in it. Since these are pressurized it would leak a little when warmed up.

I was told this is a common problem with the Taurus Coolant tanks. I called around to junk yards and they told me the same thing. They checked a few they had and they were bad also. Another junk yard had new ones. He said he buys 12 at a time because he gets so many calls! The dealer wanted like 80.00 for them and he wanted 44.00 for the ones he had. It works great!

Last edited:
That's funny, the junkyard selling new parts!

Keep 'er flushed, the radiators are not much fun on these cars.

Coolant recovery tanks are not pressurized.

Edited to add:
MOST coolant recovery tanks aren't pressurized.
Some are; those with pressure caps on them are under
pressure. The heat from expanding coolant could open a
crack that won't leak if cold/cool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwendt44

On many new cars they are. The pressurized cap is on a surge tank which acts as the recovery tank.

We used to have a plastic welder at the shop, but it was very tricky to use.
Kinda like a heat gun with plastic welding rods.
A new tank is best.

Many coolant expansion tanks of first generation LS400 have small cracks at the top around temperature connector. It is expensive, dealer wants more than $200 for a small plastic tank, a used one can fetch $100 or more on Ebay.

I think pressurized coolant expansion tank is a bad idea, coolant reservoir is safer and more reliable.

Ford calls them a degas bottle and almost all of the newer vehicles have the pressurized degas bottle, which acts as a coolant recovery tank.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: dwendt44

On many new cars they are. The pressurized cap is on a surge tank which acts as the recovery tank.

Your mean the "coolant expansion tank."
wink.gif

Looking forward to a skirmish over semantics.

quote=oilyriser]I call it the coolant freshening tank, because it leaks just enough to keep you adding enough coolant so you never need to change it.[/quote]

Or the fish/egg stream killing leak.........

The expansion tanks sure make it easy to bleed out the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back