Honda Snowblower Auger Gear Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand it can be drained but not sure.

Any info on what's in there and if it is a grease or oil and what type?

I have a Honda Snowblower, I think you are talking about the Hydrostatic Transmission Fluid.

I have never drained mine out, might want to download service manual on the internet. How many hours are on that snowblower.

It has about 120 hrs on it.

I never changed the hydro-static oil.

There is a gear box that joins the impeller and auger with some type of lube in it. Wondering what is is and what to use to top it off or chagne it?

Lower end machines use grease for the auger drive gear case. Old school and high-end would use a gear oil. 75w90 would be a great choice.

Joel

Many Ariens use a 00 oil which is an amalgem of an aluminum looking paste combined with lighter oil in their NON cast iron drive boxes. Its only available from Ariens as I looked elsewhere w/o luck. If your gearcase is 2 pieces this is probably the lube you want. Put as much in as you can because you can't damage it with an overfill. Putting straight EP grease in there isn't a good idea.

H2- I have a similar looking grease in the little single speed gear drive trans on my Honda pushmower. I popped the bottom of the case off after years of use and that grease looked new yet.

Joel

That little auger gearbox on my Ariens blower looked like its lube was contaminated with water. I filled it with 80w-90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back