What fluid is used in '00 MB E430 Power Steering ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of fluid is used in Power Steering System of 2000 MB E430 ? Do I have to buy Power Steering Fluid from a MB dealer ? Or any PSF over the counter is good ?

I'm going to flush the power steering since it makes noise when steer to either left or right. I would like to use correct fluid but don't like to pay an arm for PSF at inflated price at MB dealer.

I think it takes the Pentosin CHF-11S, according to a MB parts website. That stuff is well over $20/L.

If you trust them, Amsoil claims that their Synthetic Universal Power Steering Fluid is compatible with your vehicle. It costs about $14/qt shipped, which is hardly inexpensive either.

I wonder if that PSF is the same as what goes into a 2000 M-class. A friend of mine had to replace a P/S pump on one of them, and the special MB fluid came in a bottle that looked like Exxon Superflo oil.

Bought Prestone PSF with stop squeals last week at WM for about $3 a quart. Sucked about 5 oz of old fluid from reservoir with turkey baster and replaced that amount with Prestone fluid.

Wife drove the car for whole week and said the steering was smoother and did not make any noise. I drove the car yesterday and 5 oz of new Prestone fluid stops the annoying squeals when the wheel turned more than 35-40 degree either direction. I' going to suck out more fluid and replace with new Prestone fluid today, and continue doing it until all 32 oz new fluid is in the power steering system.

Lesson learned: No need for expensive MB or Pentosin PSF in some MB power steering systems. Local MB dealer wants $29.xx/liter MB PSF, about 10 times over the counter fluid.

Just did another replacing with Prestone PSF using turkey baster, about 26 oz new fuid is in. Test drove the car, the steering is absolutely quiet and steering effort is reduced by about 40%-50%, steering feel like when it was new. Will do one more fluid change with turkey baster next week to finish the remaining 6 oz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back