Thoughts On Synthetic 20wt. In Extreme Heat>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not of for cars, but for carbon based life forms that get their cooling from evaporation it can be downright miserable.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: SonyAD
I'm by no means an expert but I wouldn't use a w30 weight oil in my car. Let alone a w20. Let alone in a gasser, which runs hotter.

Why doesn't Ford recommend a 0w20? Why a 5w20?

Strange beliefs.

The reason for 5W is/was based on the fact Ford/Honda/others knew 0w-20 would be quite rare and synthetic blend could make 5W-20.

The post earlier about hair splitting is right on.

There just isn't a huge difference in viscosity between a typical 5W20 and a typical 5W30... a fact that could be used by both sides of the argument, I guess. I think that's why so many manufacturers didn't have any trouble changing the recommendations on engines that were originally designed/spec'ed for a 30. If you look through the UOAs, however, you see that the gap narrows further as many 30s lose viscosity over time and miles. Overall, 5W20s seem to hold their grade better, so your 30 may be a 20 by the time you're 2/3 of the way to oil change time but your 20 has stayed pretty near it starting viscosity. That may be another factor used by the OEs in their recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
The post earlier about hair splitting is right on.

There just isn't a huge difference in viscosity between a typical 5W20 and a typical 5W30...

Yes, the actual spread between most 20s and most 30s is less than the spread allowed within the 30 spec.

If you took the thick half of the 20 spec, the thin half of the 30 spec and called it SAE 25, most existing 20 and 30 weights would fall withing the new 25 spec and in turn reduce the number of posts on BITOG
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
what dnewton said. run it with confidence and have no worries

The police have been using the 5W20 Synthetic Motorcraft for years now down here in the jungle in the Miami area in their CVPI without any problems. They change out the oil every 5K miles.

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE

The police have been using the 5W20 Synthetic Motorcraft for years now down here in the jungle in the Miami area in their CVPI without any problems. They change out the oil every 5K miles.

is that straight Synthetic or the Synthetic blend?

284 fahrenheit is normal operating temperature in my turbodiesel. Would a 0w20 or 0w30 hold up to that?

Would the oil film of a 20wt on the main bearings, crank journals, wrist pins and cylinder walls prevent contact when the engine is putting out 151 lb/ft at 1750 rpm?
I would use the manufactures recommend oil viscosity.The diesel had higher combustion pressures.

Originally Posted By: posty
Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE

is that straight Synthetic or the Synthetic blend?

I asked the Ford dealer at Pompano Ford Linc Merc whose been doing the oil changes and they said Full Synthetic Oil

The only thing I have noticed with using thinner oils (Xw-20) is the vehicle uses more oil. I have a 2008 Dodge Charger (police vehicle) with the 5.7 L Hemi and it calls for 5w-20. We do 4K OCIs. During the 4K, the car uses approx 1/2 to 1 quart of oil. The car just rolled 7,400 miles so the rings should be seated well enough not to not use anymore oil. The car is run hard from time to time. I did notice in the owners manuel, it states in bold print to "check your oil level frequently to ensure it is at the proper level." I also have a 2002 Tundra that calls for 5w-30 and it does not use one drop of oil during 4-6K OCIs.

[/quote]

The police have been using the 5W20 Synthetic Motorcraft for years now down here in the jungle in the Miami area in their CVPI without any problems. They change out the oil every 5K miles. [/quote]

[/quote]

My dept in south fl uses oil from "flamingo oil company" in miami. According to their site, it could be oil made by shell, 76, castrol or several other companies. Makes me feel like the oil is seconds.
frown.gif

That 20wt will turn to water when you most need it...

Install an accurate oil pressure gauge. Monitor the gauge. When it turns to "water" you will know that it is too thin by the pressure drop.
Joe

As I have noted in other posts, my Tow vehicle is a 1994 chevy lumina minivan with the 3.1 liter engine. It tows a 4880 lb boat 4 days a week as part of a waterski show team, sometimes nearly 1,000 miles on some of the hottest weekends of summer.
After 240,000 miles the engine is quiet, smooth and burns no oil at all. I have used only 0W20 Mobil 1 in this engine, and change oil every 15K to 20K.
No, the minivan is not rated to tow this much, but the boat has brakes, is fairly low profile and handles very well.
(boat pics are at http://www.5sst.com a Hydrodyne with 3 150 hp engines on it)
I have seen no reason to worry about running 0W20, and of course the winter starting (think snowskiing!!) is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back