Where are all the conventional oil UOA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
99% of the time, all we see are synthetic UOA's. I'm more interested in the conventional uoa's since it seems the specs are getting better and better these days.

Anyone out there have any conventional UOA's coming through on Valvoline, Pennzoil, and any other brands?

Yes, but very few current ones. Show me one on Valvoline Premium conventional? Or YB Pennzoil witht he newer formulation...nothing.. Mostly syn.

It has been well established here on this forum that conventional oils are so much better than they were decades ago, so you would expect to see more UOA's on them than we do.

Last edited:
maybe OCI's aren't pushed with conventionals, where OCI's have been proven to make an engine last forever, so there is no need to check whether wear, etc. is OK.

with synthetics, it's only worthwhile if you can go further in the OCI's, hence the need to see how the oil is holding out outside "normal" OCI's and to determine the optimum OCI.

that may explain (but not be the only reason) why the bias towards synthetic UOA exists.

The people using dino oil on here, don't want to spend the money for a UOA. Any SM rated dino can do a 5k/6 month OCI with no problems. I can do my OCI for under $15.00. I use 5 quarts of Pennzoil and a Napa Gold filter. I will probably send in a UOA once a year now.

I will do a UOA before my warranty expires on my vehicles to check the health of the engine not to evaluate a particular oil. I have done them before(On a vheicle I ended up trading in eventally anyway) but can't see spending the money on every OCI or on every vehicle.

Bill In Utah did a great many and has given up on constant testing himself.

If there is a potential for a mechaical problem or you are trying to tune into an extended OCI then yes UOA's are a good way to get tuned in, once established however then it is just a curiosity and an extra 20-30 bucks an oil change.

For my vehicles using ILSAC GF4 engine oil and keeping 5k 6 month OCI's works.

I am more interested in seeing how lubricant technology improves throug improved standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back