AC Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here use those aerosol sprays that are supposed to clean out moldy smells in the AC?

Searching online I've come across a few different brands. Most of them say to spray it directly in the vents and the fresh air intake..

The last time I changed the cabin air filter in my moms car, the blower that sucks in fresh air was coated with dust and spots of mold (it's one of those air filters under the cowl, not in the actual cabin).
The owners manual says it sucks fresh air in every 5 mins to keep moisture levels down even if it's set in recirculate, so it can't be too healthy blowing that in the cabin the whole time. It'll smell strong after mold when the ac first starts up.

I've also read that dealerships have some type of ac cleaning service which I'd guess is probably something like the products I've seen for sale online.

Any suggestions or input on what you did to fix this type of problem would be much appreciated.

If you have some Lysol Disenfectant spray in the house you could try that first before buying something. I read it works years ago. I tried it once a few years ago and it did seem to help. I just sprayed it at the air intake with the fan on high.

Spray your choice of product into the return vents when on recirculate, and in the outside air entrance vents when in normal mode.
Do both heavily when the system is operating, then let it sit and soak.
Start her up after a while and bow it out on high fan in all modes.
Repeat as necessary.
Also make sure your water condensation drain tube is clear.

Thanks, I think I'll try the lysol first.. I saw the same warning on one of the pics of the ac cleaner bottle that the lysol bottle has, made me think it was somewhat alike.

I found out the hard way a few weeks ago that you really need some type of sealed eye protection when trying to get this stuff through the vents and adjusting settings on the fan.
Even after 5 min's of the fan running on high in my truck, just sticking my head in to turn it off killed my eyes.

Are the recirculation vents usually in the middle by the floor vents? I've seen some cars have it behind the glove compartment.. in my truck I can't really tell where it is feeling around for it.

What about us non-smokers?
LOL.gif
Guess we're out of luck finding it the easy way =p

My recommendation would be about a half can of Lysol, sprayed into the cowl area below the windshield, where the fresh air gets sucked in. Once you're done spraying shut the car off and let soak for a bit. Then start it up, fresh air mode, blower on high, windows down.

This, in my experience, has killed a lot of moldy smells over the years.

Also, like has been said, make sure your A/C drain tube is draining properly. Having a bunch of stagnant water in there is a mold magnet. Also always make sure to have the blower motor running when the car is on, low speed, fresh air mode, even if you don't need heat or A/C. That helps keep the evaporator and heater core dry and mold free.

I ended up taking the air filter out, cleaning around it with a vacuum, then spraying the fan with lysol. I turned it around a few times with my hand so it got on all sides (it'd only hit the inside edge though).

After that I turned the fan on low and sprayed a good amount of lysol nutra air in there.. it's supposed to kill stuff in the air as well as surfaces, so I thought it might work a little better than the normal one.

I then put the filter back in and ran the fan on high, spraying some through the cowl air slots to kill any mold that might be inside that part.

It took a few days for the air to stop smelling like lysol haha.. but so far *knock on wood* here hasn't been any mold smell when starting the ac up.
This is only a 3 year old car too.. we almost always have very high mold spores in the air quality forecast for around here, so it'll grow anywhere it can pretty quick.

I sprayed the Lysol in the outside air intakes--about 1/2 a can. It works well--it took a couple of days for the lysol smell to dissipate. I would recommend it to anyone and am glad to see it addressed--I was having mildew odors in my 2004 T&C van and this has taken care of it...

I just bought a two can kit from toyota for this. They had a lot in stock and the guy said they do this all the time (probably what they use when they charge 50 to 100 bucks for the recommended yearly ac clean).

There's a big can with a hose about a foot and a half long. You insert the hose in the evaporator drain tube and spray half of the can in. It foams up and covers everything in there, then turns to liquid after about 10 min's and drains out. Repeat with other half of can, and the evaporator should be cleaned off a lot better than any lysol could do.

The small can is a spray probably just like lysol with instructions to turn the fan on high, compressor off, and spray the whole thing in the fresh air intake. Says to allow the vehicle to run for 5 more min's for best effects.
Also says it cleans the interior of the vehicle and prevents future growth of mold and bacteria.

The only thing I'd be worried about is if you did this on a car that's got a filthy evaporator... would so much stuff come off of it at once that it'd clog up the drain tube? On my truck that tube will actually pull out of a rubber gasket, so that wouldn't be a problem.. but I don't know about other types of cars.

Just wanted to let you guys know there is a kit for this and it was just 10.45 after tax. It probably really isn't a bad idea to spray this foam in there every year or two just to keep junk from building up on the evaporator.
I'll post back after trying the stuff in my truck. Probably will buy 2 more of these kits for my moms car and grandparents car.

2x a year, I simply use a spray bottle that puts off a very fine mist filled with 70% alcohol (kills 99.9% of germs) and spray into the intake vents. No chemical smells, very inexpensive and works like a champ! I have a bud who follows this with a few squirts of his favorite cologne.

Food for thought.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
I just bought a two can kit from toyota for this. They had a lot in stock and the guy said they do this all the time (probably what they use when they charge 50 to 100 bucks for the recommended yearly ac clean).

Do you know the part number?

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2

There's a big can with a hose about a foot and a half long. You insert the hose in the evaporator drain tube and spray half of the can in. It foams up and covers everything in there, then turns to liquid after about 10 min's and drains out. Repeat with other half of can, and the evaporator should be cleaned off a lot better than any lysol could do.

The small can is a spray probably just like lysol with instructions to turn the fan on high, compressor off, and spray the whole thing in the fresh air intake. Says to allow the vehicle to run for 5 more min's for best effects.
Also says it cleans the interior of the vehicle and prevents future growth of mold and bacteria.

The only thing I'd be worried about is if you did this on a car that's got a filthy evaporator... would so much stuff come off of it at once that it'd clog up the drain tube? On my truck that tube will actually pull out of a rubber gasket, so that wouldn't be a problem.. but I don't know about other types of cars.

Just wanted to let you guys know there is a kit for this and it was just 10.45 after tax. It probably really isn't a bad idea to spray this foam in there every year or two just to keep junk from building up on the evaporator.
I'll post back after trying the stuff in my truck. Probably will buy 2 more of these kits for my moms car and grandparents car.

Sounds a lot like what I use, does it look like this? http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-klima-cleaner-air-freshener.html

Citrus smell for 12 hours and lasts for a while, it is not a cover up. I didnt know toyota had a spray, and it is cheaper that what I use,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toytundranator

Do you know the part number?

Under part number/description it just says "11111 A/C KIT". Other toyota dealerships might carry different brands, but I'm sure they'll know what you're talking about if you just ask for the A/C cleaning spray.

Originally Posted By: mikered30

Sounds a lot like what I use, does it look like this? http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-klima-cleaner-air-freshener.html

Citrus smell for 12 hours and lasts for a while, it is not a cover up. I didnt know toyota had a spray, and it is cheaper that what I use,

The big bottle looks somewhat that shape, but the hose snaps on the top and has a cone shaped end to fit snugly in different sized drain tubes. After unwinding it, it's actually 3 ft long.
It's by petro chemical, A/C power foam professional strength evaporator cleaner & refresher.

The little bottle is called conditionaire 2005 professional strength automotive refresher.
It all came wrapped together in plastic.

I have used both the Petro kit from a toyota dealer, and the einszett klima cleer Z1 brand...both do a god job of expanding foam cleaner through the evaporator core, pushing the dirt/dust/crud out of it and out the drain tube.These kits eliminate the small and allow better AC cooling by removing the garbage from the face of the evaporator...air feels colder and stronger blowing from vents in a car that has never had this done before!

Last edited:
What about Wurth A/C & Heating System Spray that comes in a 16 oz. aerosol. It's a water based, quaternary ammonium chloride that helps eliminate caused by bacteria, fungi, & mineral deposits. Spray directly into the A/C vents & returns. Allow to work undisturbed for 5-10 minutes, & then turn the system & fans on high to circulate. While the system is running, spray a liberal amount into the returns, then turn the system off & let stand for 1 hr. The evaporator pan should also receive a treatment. I believe it was ~ $25.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
I have used both the Petro kit from a toyota dealer, and the einszett klima cleer Z1 brand...both do a god job of expanding foam cleaner through the evaporator core, pushing the dirt/dust/crud out of it and out the drain tube.These kits eliminate the small and allow better AC cooling by removing the garbage from the face of the evaporator...air feels colder and stronger blowing from vents in a car that has never had this done before!

Anyone clean/remove odors better than the other?

Both did a good job, the klima-cleer is easier to use as you thread a thin vinyl hose thru the center dash vent to reach the evaporator area, while the Petro kit is designed to be introduced through the evaporator drain on firewall of engine compartment,requiring more effort to reach.

A few days ago I sprayed the foam up the drain tube... that stuff stinks! The 2nd time I did it, I turned the fan on thinking it'd coat that and clean it off... ended up with some of the foam coming out of my floor vents haha. Definitely not worth getting the blower all the way clean, I figure the smell will be in the truck for a while longer because of that.

I let it sit overnight and the next day sprayed the other bottle in the cowl. That one didn't really smell bad.

It sat for another day and I just drove it today running the fan and compressor with the window down for about 15 mins.. hopefully that smell from the foam dissipates in about the time lysol does.. again I don't think it'd be as noticeable if I hadn't run the fan and blown it into the floor vents, looked like I was trying to shampoo my rubber mats haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back