CVT maintenance for Ford Freestyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLJ

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle AWD. The car has 63,500 miles. The manual says to service the CVT transmision at 60,000 miles. My problem is finding a dealership who will service transmision. They tell me that they don't have alot of experience servicing the CVT. Does anyone have any input about the Ford CVT?

drain and fill only on those. the fluid is fairly expensive, also the only way to properly service the trans is to monitor the fluid temp via the IDS. there are also 2 filters, iirc, that must be replaced with the service. to be done properly you are looking at around $300-400 parts and labor.

Are drain and fill locations accessable for you? I'd buy the appropriate ATF online and drain/fill myself.

Joel

i know you are out of the nvlw, but do you have any ESP coverage? i would strongly suggest using only the OEM fluid either way, unless someone has a fluid that specifically meets the requirements of the Ford CVT. the FSM states to install a high pressure case filter when servicing the CVT unit. drain spec is 4.7qt, and must be monitored with the WDS, IDS, or PDS when checking level.

I took car to local ford dealership and was told that they checked the transfluid and that it was good for 100K. I ask them how they checked the fluid without car having trans dipstick. I was refered to service manager and was told that they did not see a lot of CVT's in this area and would have to special order the fluid and parts. I am concerned that more damage will be done if I let them service my CVT. Can I go 100K with out CVT failure. I read that a Ford CVT runs about $4,000 for a rebuild.

See what's required and try to do it yourself. If yuo don't want to, find out who deals a lot with CVT transmissions in your area and take it to them.

the FSM does state that the CVT fluid is to be changed at the 60k mile point. you need the factory scan tool to monitor fluid temp, i dont think you have an extra 10k laying around to buy a tool you wont use much.

i dont know what the big deal is about ordering the fluid. at my dealer we keep it in stock, and if we run out and need more before 130, i can get it same day. heres info on the fluid from the fcsd webpage.
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...mission%20Fluid

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
the FSM does state that the CVT fluid is to be changed at the 60k mile point. you need the factory scan tool to monitor fluid temp, i dont think you have an extra 10k laying around to buy a tool you wont use much.

Most of us probably don't have clue what you are talking about when you mention a factory scan tool for a transmission oil change. I sure don't.

Would you peel back some of the mystery about CVT oil changes?

you use the scan tool to monitor fluid temp. some of the aftermarket scan tools can check for that, although its best to take the vehicle for a test drive with the ISS, OSS, and TFT pids up to make sure all is in spec.

What if you leave the vehicle standing in a garage for a day, and have a thermometer in the garage? The fluid temp should be pretty close to ambient by then.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
What if you leave the vehicle standing in a garage for a day, and have a thermometer in the garage? The fluid temp should be pretty close to ambient by then.

ambient is not the temp that its done at, unless your garage doubles as an oven.

I've always hated how factory service manuals get all cryptic when it comes to transmission servicing. They'll quote special temperature and pressure monitoring equipment, etc. Isuzu spec'd odd stuff for the old school GM 4L30E in my 2002 Rodeo, one of which was a stick on temperature measuring stick IIRC!! If you're able to drain it cold and refill with exactly what you took out, I don't see how harm could be done. Like bdcardinal says, I'd stick with the OEM trans fluid. The other option is call around for another Ford service dept that will service it for you.

Joel

Talk to a dealer that is interested in servicing their products. If I couln't find such a dealer then I would drain and measure what came out and put the same volume back in, using factory fluid. The only reservations I would have is waraanty related.

I'd call Ford Customer Service and ask them if they knew of a dealer that could provide the service. :)

BLJ said:
I took car to local ford dealership and was told that they checked the transfluid and that it was good for 100K. I ask them how they checked the fluid without car having trans dipstick. I was refered to service manager and was told that they did not see a lot of CVT's in this area and would have to special order the fluid and parts. I am concerned that more damage will be done if I let them service my CVT. Can I go 100K with out CVT failure. I read that a Ford CVT runs about $4,000 for a rebuild. [/quote

What this most likely means is that this dealer doesn't have a technician who is CVT-certified and they don't want to own up to that fact.

That's got to be a p.o.s. service department. [censored] like this makes Ford look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back