Penzoil European Formula Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I've been out of it for too long, maybe not. I would appreciate your comments and opinions.

I have been using M1 which I thought they used a PAQ for its base stock. The 10W-40 with 1000 ppm ZDDP. Now I've read M1 has gone the way of Castrol and is using highly refined oil as its base stock. True or not true, how do we know for sure? Then I read that most engine damage occurs at start up and 10W is too thick even in warm Atlanta. Apparently this weight does not properly lubricate at start up. A 0W was advised as an appropriate weight. I decided to try a 0W-40 M1. I couldn't find it at Wal-Mart.

Then I spotted Penzoil Platinum Synthetic - European Formula 5W-40. It states on the bottle that it uses a full synthetic base stock along with superior anti wear additives. Are we talking ZPPD here or what? I have not ever seen this oil before. Is this a new product from Penzoil? Thought I'd give it a try and see what kind of oil pressure I get at start up. Maybe even send it out for an analysis. What do you all think?

George

Originally Posted By: gcmerak
Then I spotted Penzoil Platinum Synthetic - European Formula 5W-40.

Where did you find it? This oil has been out for a while, but I've only seen it on paper. I started doubting it actually exists...

the m1 is not PAO is a wife's tale. Do a bit of reading around and youll see that there may have been a small blend in some products, but nothing was truly definite, and most/all are truly PAO.

Pennzoil is indeed group III, so talk about going the way of Castrol (enough with that garbage, the so called "value proposition" is totally irrelevant). Id be interested to hear where youve seen it too...

You may want to try Castrol Syntec 0w30 "German Castrol"

It is the only Syntec made of group IV oil. It is made to meet hard MB, and VW standards.

The 0w30 is the thickest 30 weight oil I know of. It is one eyelash away from being a 0w40.

you might like it.

Easy to get on sale at autozone.

Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula 5W-40 is on MB 229.3 list. I saw it once in Pep Boys few months ago, they cost about $2 or so more than other PP grades.

Some synthetic oils in MB 229.5 and 229.3 list are named "European Formula", are they mostly PAO ?

what does the PAO content matter? Its semi-irrelevant if it protects well, gives god UOA and meets the specs.

The Pennzoil/QS 'Euro' oils - 5W-30, 5W-40, 5W-50 are all excellent oils. Often hard to find, but they are very good products. It doesn't really matter what basestock is used, they perform excellently. If you can find it, I'd use it w/o hesitation.

The rec. for GC 0W-30 is also another great oil to consider.....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
what does the PAO content matter? Its semi-irrelevant if it protects well, gives god UOA and meets the specs.

I agree. It doesn't matter to me as long as it performs well. I asked that question because many here were bashing M1 for not disclose the contain of M1, and they think that M1 has mostly group III.

Since I saw Pennzoil European Formula 5W-40 sold for $2 more than other PP grades, I assumed that it must contains mostly PAO to justify the cost differences.

Someone mentioned before that this was equivalent (if not the same) as the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 full synthetic that's easily available here in Asia. I checked the Pennzoil specs and it's different -- a bit thicker with 14.5 cSt @100°C compared to 13.8 for the Shell.

Almost always I see that if an oil has a bunch of BMW/VW/MB approvals, then it's either a heavy 30 grade (>11.5 cSt) or a low to mid 40 grade (
I wouldn't hesitate to use this though in a warm climate like ours.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

The Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic - European Formula was bought at WalMart @ 5.90/qrt. In fact they had not even entered it into their system,and the department manager had to circumvent their protocol.

On the back of this bottle it states that "It is a unique blend of highly refined synthetic base oil coupled with with a proprietary additive package." The way words can be legally twisted to say one thing, and mean something altogether different in today's world is beyond me. I do however think Pennzoil's statement is fairly straight forward [have been wrong before, might be wrong again]. M1 had no such statement on the back of their bottle.

One would think that since Mobil just about invented synthetic oil, in addition to having that court battle with IIRC Castrol or was it Valvoline over what Synthetic means legally, that they would have hung tough with their PAO based oils. I'm really disappointed.

I agree with the several who said that how the oil performs is what is important. Nevertheless a group IV oil requires less additives therefor is more stable, less additives to wear out quickly [as they do in conventional oils], synthetics coat metal better and longer, they have the oxygen removed from the molecular chain thereby reducing the level of oxidation[read sludge/varnish], and they have a higher level of lubricity than a group III base stock oil. Bottom line is true synthetics out perform conventional dino oils even when the performance characteristics are close. I don't mind paying extra and changing that oil every 4K-5K miles. In my book it's cheap insurance.

At this stage of the game I'm really frustrated,and really wonder if true synthetic automotive oil exists,or is it all a big myth. I have a web site that links you to all the PDF spec sheets for all the main oil companies. This site may have it but I am unaware of it. I will post it later.

Best regards,
George

i bought a case this week gonna use it on my vw gli for its first oil change since it is 502 approved......couldnt find it in stores had to order it online

Funny thing, I went back to Wal-Mart today and the oil was nowhere to be found, hmmmm the plot thickens as does oil!

Best regards,
George

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: gcmerak
Then I spotted Penzoil Platinum Synthetic - European Formula 5W-40.

Where did you find it? This oil has been out for a while, but I've only seen it on paper. I started doubting it actually exists...

QP, Are you sure that wasn't your new puppy that you saw on the paper...I hear he left tangible evidence that he exists...

PS I have never seen it in real life either.

Last edited:
Walmart probably got the euro Pennzoil in by mistake.

That's why it wasn't in the computer and required a manager override.

You probably won't see any more there.

I order mine from the oilstore.com. I use it exclusively in my 2K9 Subaru Outback. It is a good oil and I use a 7K OCI now with Purolator Pure One filters. I'll let you know in a couple of years how good it was.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back