Good rifle for plinking, and medium size hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to some current happenings, I have decided that I should get the gun I want before it is forbidden. The animals to be shot will be Texas deer, and hogs, with maybe some coyotes and such thrown in. I would prefer something with cheaper ammo available for plinking, so I was thinking 7.62x39 or .308. When we shoot SKSs, the kick is very much bearable for the soon to be wife, and I think it would be good for her, but don't know about long range accuracy for one. Does anyone have any suggestions on other weapons?

Last edited:
the marlin 39A is a quality gun that can plink extremely cheaply. It wouldnt be good for the game mentioned though.

However, how about a rifle chambered for handgun rounds that are cheap. is 7.62 and .308 cheaper than .38 special? Seems that it cant be given that there is more metal and powder in the rifle-specific rounds.

A marlin 94 lever action can be had to shoot .38 special and .357 magnum, so youve got options and power when need be.

JMH

Is a handgun bullet going to be able to hit at several hundred yards? I honestly would prefer to stick with a rifle round. we have several 10-22 and a few SKSs for cheap plinking, so I guess the accuracy and hitting power maybe more important than cost of ammo, within reason. Meaning commonly available bullets, like military calibers such as the 223, 308, 7.62x39 that can be picked up at a gun show. The family has a hog "farm" of sorts, and there is also a deer lease the we have access to. The hog is honestly more what I was worried about, especially a buller that can punch through it's front plate if need be.

I honestly don't know if the 7.62x51 or 39 are cheaper. Like you said, it should be, but the law of volume may outweigh. I have honestly wanted a Dragonov sniper rifle for a long time, but don't know anything about the round 7.62x54, or the gun itself.

A few guys over at AR15.com have used the 5.56 for hogs, they may of been from Texas.

.308 is not cheap

A bolt-action .270 would be a nice choice.
7.62X51 will shoot flatter,farther and have more punch than 7.62X39.
BTW .308 and 7.62mm NATO are not the same.

CZ527 in 7.62x39 ?

I've got one in .223, and it's a tackdriver. Bread and butter plate sized groups at 600 yards is fine, and sub 1" at 100 yards with American Eagle ammo, and my reloads.

If the 7.62 was available at the time, I would have bought it instead.

Zastava make one also.

Want to go cheap and really nasty, then Norinco.

I'm talking about the bolt action mauser rip off/up.

A mate, when he had to hand in his SKS bought one for a hundred bucks or so to burn up a few crates of 7.62x39. Rifle is Minute of Pig, which is sufficient for his needs.

Quote:
BTW .308 and 7.62mm NATO are not the same.

Technically true, but not practically. I've fired each in the other with no problems.

To Shaman, .308 military guns are not light. These are not guns easily transported or carried while hunting. If you are going to be sitting in one location then this is not a big deal. A bolt action will be much lighter for hunting. You can put a break on it to cut recoil.

If you want to buy a military style gun due to forthcoming "shortages", that is a different story.

The cartridge headspace for 7.62x51mm and .308 are close enough to be interchangable.The chamber headspace isn't. The 7.62x51mm chamber will have excessive headspace when using a .308 cartridge. It gets away with this in 7.62x51mm cartridges because the brass is thicker & only fired once.
Chamber pressure is different too, .308 being higher.

Shaman, they are their own unique magazine.

Holds 5 in a row (not staggered) controlled feed.

Loading the last round in the mag isn't the easiest under the pressure of competition, but they are pretty cheap, so you can have a few.

No worries. I will check out the local gun show when I head home. I'v been spending alot of time on ar15.com. Will be checking into the Mini-30s, Galils, and some bolt actions too. wish I knew how much these things weighed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back