15w-40 Red-Line /GMC 6.5 turbo diesel / 5329 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 GMC Suburban 6.5 turbo diesel

5329 miles on OLD stock of Red-Line 15w-40 oil. 27,829 miles on replacement engine. .5 Qt. add oil.

Don't know how long oil has been in there, 2-3 years maybe.

Should add that it pulls a trailer most all the time, winter and summer when it does get run.

Vehicle sits for very long periods without use. Wonder if the bores are rusting between usage and contribuiting some bearing wear also. The iron and lead looks very high. Check out the TBN though.

ALUMINUM----------------1

CHROMIUM----------------3

IRON-----------------------99

COPPER--------------------5

LEAD-----------------------20

TIN--------------------------2

MOLBDENUM---------------589

NICKEL---------------------1

MANGANESM--------------1

SILVER----------------------0

TITANIUM------------------0

POTASSIUM----------------4

BORON---------------------13

SILICON--------------------28

SODIUM………………………..15

CALCIUM-------------------4552

MAGNESIUM---------------17

PHOSPHORUS--------------1345

ZINC------------------------1442

BARIUM--------------------0

SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 F……. 80
SUS VISCOSITY @ 100 C……. 15.52
FLASHPOINT IN F……………… 480
FUEL % ……………………………… .5
ANTIFREEZE %…………………… 0
WATER %...................... 0
INSOLUBLES %................ .4

TBN…………………………………… 10.8

Last edited:
It is hard to tell with Redline oil. Is this the first run with redline? I would have to agree about the intermittant use. Si is maybe high. This is a most interesting UOA look at the TBN almost like new oil. I can't wait for better imput.

If you are unsure of how long the oil has been in there and guess at 2-3 years, I would say that it really isn't too terribly bad. You could do a few runs on dino and take uoa, and it would probably be fine. Check your air intake though.

Last edited:
Air intake is suspect due to the egr fitting into the rubber elbow leading to the turbo as far a silicon, also live on a gravel road.

It's not the first change with Red-Line. I have alot of this laying around as I was a sponsored snowmobile dragracer and gave it up about 5 years ago. Hence, I still have it on the shelf.

Just worried about the iron and lead. The truck sits for so long between being run and I wonder if the bores are rusting up over time. Also perhaps some damage is done on startup if the oil runs off the crank, rods and mains.

Maybe use the truck a little more often? Diesels don't do well just sitting....not well at all. Something to think about if you want better longevity out of this truck.

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
Maybe use the truck a little more often? Diesels don't do well just sitting....not well at all. Something to think about if you want better longevity out of this truck.
The engine may outlast the rest of the truck at the miles put on the truck per year.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
The engine may outlast the rest of the truck at the miles put on the truck per year.

That was my point....engine gets very few miles with minimal start ups, not that it has fewer miles. Diesels need to get used more often. They usually don't do real well just sitting. I think I already said that though....

add Super Tech TCWIII OB oil at 256:1 mix with the fuel
will supply a protective lube coating to the cyl. walls and pistons during those long setting times. TCWIII lubes have an anti corrosive additive.
try one OCI with a UOA, if no reduced iron then increase to 128:1.

makes the mech. inj. pump last longer on the older rigs.

run Super Tech TCWIII at 256:1 in my 5.9L '05 Dodge/Cummins.
starts easier, engine quieter on a hard pull.

how heavy of a trailer? pulling heavy or large frontal area increases engine wear

Either a 26 foot enclosed car trailer or a two place enclosed snowmobile trailer. Stilll seems like alot of wear for the quality of oil.

What about the oil filter? I was running a Fram filter. Could it have something to do with not filtering good?

Wear or oxidation ,probably the type of operation is the culprit. .With 5,000 miles I would have to guess the filter wouldn't make much difference.

Jim - As long as the UOA is showing a good TBN/TAN relationship then a two year OCI is quite acceptable IMO with a modern lubricant

I would do a UOA at 12 and 18 months initially!

As an alternative a HDEO with a Vapour Phase Inhibitor (VPI) might be worth considering. These lubricants are typically formulated for use in agricultural equipment used seasonally in low utilisation/high load applications. The VPI inhibits corrosion above the lubricant line

condensation (water) builds up inside the engine on a rig that sets for extended periods, especially outside in a wet humid climate with wide temp changes.

water causes rust on iron cyl bores and steel in engine
rust equals increased iron in used oil.

call RL about the lead reading, they were using a lead compound as an AW additive. works well and is low cost.
believe EPA is forcing the end of lead as an AW add. because of health/environmental pollution problems. shows up in drinking water, not good for kids brains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back