5/20 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it listed in the manual as one of the grades you can run?

I'm sure somebody on here who has tried it in an Ecotec will chime in with their experience.

Not sure if you can use it, but I do think so. Check the OM as mentioned.

Just wanted to say hi, we're neighbors in Nassau County. Got to love those high taxes!
LOL.gif

Frank D

You should use xW30 during the warranty period, for NY winter you may want to use 0W30 which is synthetic only oil. After warranty expired then you can try xW20 to see if it is better for your car.

12000 a year for my garbage pails to be dumped,I so need to move.They keep saying it,s all for the schools, that there excellent,i,m not even sure about that.We both need to move ,LOL

I'd say any engine speced for 5w30 could use the 5w20..I do in my '97 CRV, Deere lawn tractors, generators..I run the .49 motor oil in everything but the bikes, for some reason the bikes/atvs get expensive Amsoil but then go triple the OCI.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Can I use 5w /20 syn oil in a 2007 pontiac G6 with the ecotec motor instead of 5w/30 year round?

I don't know if you can use 5w-20 per se in a car speced for 5w-30 but I do know this: you may be able to stay beyond reproach and avoid harm altogether by either going with a thick 5w-20 or a thin 5w-30. Maybe someelse can point out some of these for you. I don't know any thin 5w-30 so maybe someone else can help us out here but if you listen to Dr Haas, it's the cold flow property of oil when the car is cold that is most important because majority wear happens when car is cold ( as well as when your oil gets old or loses additives et al).

thin=better better cold flow=less wear as well as thin=better flow=better cooling so I think you would be fine with perhaps a MC full synthetic 5w-20 or perhaps a Schaeffer's syn blend 5w-20 or maybe even M1 0w-20 or PP 5w-20. I do know from personal use experience that PP 5w-20 is pretty thick 20 weight so I would definitely try PP 5w-20. I know I tried it and it was too thick of a 20 weight for me so I went with something that was 'thinner' and revved a little more freely so I definitely know PP is a thick 5w-20. TRY PP 5w-20, I guarantee you will be happy and have no problems especially now that we are in the winter where high heat is not a big issue so cst @ 100 is less important due to cooler ambient temp assisting in the cooling process thus tipping the scale in the lighter weight favor.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I'd say any engine speced for 5w30 could use the 5w20..I do in my '97 CRV

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Can I use 5w /20 syn oil in a 2007 pontiac G6 with the ecotec motor instead of 5w/30 year round?

I don't know if you can use 5w-20 per se in a car speced for 5w-30 but I do know this: you may be able to stay beyond reproach and avoid harm altogether by either going with a thick 5w-20 or a thin 5w-30. Maybe someelse can point out some of these for you. I don't know any thin 5w-30 so maybe someone else can help us out here but if you listen to Dr Haas, it's the cold flow property of oil when the car is cold that is most important because majority wear happens when car is cold ( as well as when your oil gets old or loses additives et al).

thin=better better cold flow=less wear as well as thin=better flow=better cooling so I think you would be fine with perhaps a MC full synthetic 5w-20 or perhaps a Schaeffer's syn blend 5w-20 or maybe even M1 0w-20 or PP 5w-20. I do know from personal use experience that PP 5w-20 is pretty thick 20 weight so I would definitely try PP 5w-20. I know I tried it and it was too thick of a 20 weight for me so I went with something that was 'thinner' and revved a little more freely so I definitely know PP is a thick 5w-20. TRY PP 5w-20, I guarantee you will be happy and have no problems especially now that we are in the winter where high heat is not a big issue so cst @ 100 is less important due to cooler ambient temp assisting in the cooling process thus tipping the scale in the lighter weight favor.

So PP 5W-20 is a thick 5W20? And it doesn't take high heat, Vtec?

Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
I do know from personal use experience that PP 5w-20 is pretty thick 20 weight so I would definitely try PP 5w-20. I know I tried it and it was too thick of a 20 weight for me so I went with something that was 'thinner' and revved a little more freely so I definitely know PP is a thick 5w-20.

PP is on par with just about every other 5W20 out there. It's viscosity is 8.46cSt @100*C compared to some like MC syn blend; 8.7, GTX;9.1, or Syntec;9.0, it's actually thinner.
A thin 5W30 would be the new Havoline, which I believe is around 9.9cSt @100*C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back