Kuhmo ASX on the way from TR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been planing to replace my OE tires before winter since those Bridgestones were horrible in snow. I was thinking about some Yoko AS430 which are only sold at Merchants or NTB. I have had them before on another car and they were good. They were about $146 per tire before tax and install. I have also been looking at Kuhmo ASX for quite a while. Sears sells them for $124 per tire before extras.
So yesterday I happen to look at TR again and I see that my size ASX is now $69 per tire. Even with shipping it's only $314 for four tires. I couldn't believe it. I just looked at Discount Tire and they were $96 for the same tire. I know the ASX were more than $69 every other time I looked at TR, but that's what they are now.
So I've got 4 on the way and I'm a happy camper.

I hear what you're saying about snow, but anything has got to be better than these [censored] EL400-02 that I have now.
I've read about a million owner reviews of the ASX on TR and some were impressed with snow performance and others were not. There are as many variables as there are drivers when it comes to owner reviews. I still think they'll be better than what I've got.

They are ok, in a pinch. Wear is not great, but overall much better than average. Sort of like the Dunlop SP A2, good ride and grip, modest handling.

I realize they're not the greatest UHP all-season tire. And it's not the worst by a long shot. But at $69 a piece, I had to go for it.

Last edited:
For $69/tire, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better for that price.

That said, I'd invest a little more next time around. I've put about 25K on my ASX's on my '05 Mazda3 and they are loud will probably need replaced in 5K miles. Wet traction is not very good, especially in winter months.

Again, for $69 they are probably worth it but you'll probably find yourself looking at a different tire next time around.

My next tire will probably be the BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S or the Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid.

Kumho ASX tires SUCK in the snow! I had better luck with traction in the snow with my stock runflat SUMMER tires on my Corvette than I had last year with the ASXs out back. Even though my ASX tires only have about 12,000 miles on them, I'm seriously thinking about throwing them out and getting new Goodyear Eagle F1 all seasons for the back (I've already got the F1s up front, so I do need to get the complete set of 4 eventually)

Hey Patman, Sorry to hear that the ASXs didn't do it for you in the snow. As I said, I know they won't be great but I'm betting that they'll be way better than what I've got now.
I just went back to my December '08 issue of Road & Track and my size ASX is listed at $94 at TR. I thought they used to be in the 90s but I wasn't sure. I'm glad I jumped on these at $69.
BTW, they got delivered today (Thursday) and I ordered Monday evening. Pretty good so far.

It's not just in the snow that I don't like them, I find they aren't that great in the dry either, I get a lot more wheelspin on a full throttle 1-2 shift with these tires than I got with any other tires. And the back end gets real squirrelly when I hammer the car and it downshifts to first. It makes the car feel faster, but it's definitely not safe!

I got them installed today on my Scion tc. Completely different animal than a Vette. I'm expecting better luck than Patman had. Roads are wet here today so I drove home very carefully. Didn't push them at all. I'll test them after a couple hundred miles. They're too slick right now.

Ordered my ASX's today too. Sending to my installer. Will have them on next Friday.

$63 each for me.

I hope I won't be seeing much snow this winter.

Better on a light vehicle, especially as wear is concerned. They were actually great on my RSX, but I would not consider them on an A4.

ASX will be significant improvement over RE92(worse all season in snow). They are about average to slightly above in terms of all-seasons in the snow for UHP. Great budget tire.

Last edited:
I've had the ASX's for a few weeks now and driven them 3 times in 2-5" snowfalls with other winter variable contitions. They've been good. Much better than the Hankooks they replaced. Overall, I'm happy and confident with them.

Kuhmo, IMHO, is generally a great tire for the price. I've had a number of sets. The MX is my favorite and compared very well to Michelin's and Bridgestone's that were twice the price.

The ASX is not a snow tire. I've had two sets of the ASX and if you need them for snow use, you might consider another tire. They do OK in the snow, but not spectacular--they are a great 3 season tire; but, not nearly as capable as Michelin's Pilot Sport A/S that are currently on my Subie for Winter use.

That Michilin does not come in my size. And if it did, it would cost about three times what I paid for the ASX.
I've got my ASXs now and like them. I'm betting that they'll be better in the snow than the OE Bridgestones that were on the car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back