Lawn Mower oil was gray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I winterized my new Toro self propelled mower which has a 6 hp B & S motor in it. When I changed the oil it came out a gray color. This was the first oil change since I bought it. What would make it gray and not brown or black?

How many hours on the oil. I still need to do my first change on my new mower. I figure I have another cut up the junk and leftover leaves yet this fall. I have seen oil come out of mowers in many shades of grey or black. Air cooled engines do nasty stuff to oil. Probably just full of break in metals and assembly lubes. The next batch will most likely look similar. It will all clear up in a few OCI's.

WEll I used it all summer. I am guessing maybe 20-25 hours. I switched to Valvoline Syn Power this change to see how it works next year. I figured if any engine could benefit from Syn oil a aircooled one would.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
My Honda manual said to change the oem oil at 5 hours of use.
banana2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
happy2.gif

Would be great for us and you if you had a UOA done!

Imagine if in the manual they told you the first oil drain would be grey in color?

Too easy. That's like a label on an oil bottle of it's additives and true contents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I'm a man...I don't need no stinkin' manuals!

(Or maybe I do......)
Reading the manual is acceptable if you read it on the throne.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Would be great for us and you if you had a UOA done!

I did one after the 1st 5 hours back in July or August 2007. It's really not near as bad as you might think since ICP can only see < 5 micron (or is it 2?). It's posted on here.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I'm a man...I don't need no stinkin' manuals!

(Or maybe I do......)
Reading the manual is acceptable if you read it on the throne.

That's the only way I ever read them.

I just did 5 hour change on a new 17.5 B & S in my lawn tractor.
Very clean, but a silver glimmer from the metallic flake. Kinda like some of my teenage daughter's tacky make up
LOL.gif

Green Accord you did not come to a definitive conclusion on the single best small engine oil, so I stuck with the Rotella T syn. If my engine blows up it will be your fault
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back