BMW original factory fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BMW was made in Germany. I am sure that the 5W30 oil(Castrol) sold by the dealers and made in the USA is not used at the factory. Can anyone tell me which viscosity and blend of Castrol is used as factory fill. I have a 2008 335i in which I use GC 0W30. Sorry if this has been answered before. Thanks!

I agree that US made Castrol 5W30 is probably not used as factory fill. I don't know (or really care) what was used as factory fill. I changed it out after Break-In at 1700 miles and have used 0W30 GC since. It is likely a superior oil (if not the same), carries the required certifications (BMW LL 01), and is the BMW-recommended brand (Castrol).

Last edited:
I think it is branded Castrol SLX in Europe. The viscosity is the same, 5W-30 syn. Meets same specs as the dealer's Castrol. Also agree with jesbo, the GC is slightly better, for your DIY OCs. Stick with Mahle or Mann filters, best to get them from Tischer BMW site (pack of 5 or 10).

BMW use to use Castrol TXT 5w-30, which was LL01. Castrol consolidated it's product lineup and now BM use SLX professional 5w-30, which is LL04...honestly I think the whole thing was a package change exercise. The oil is a Grp 3 as far as I am aware. Neither great nor bad...I think you can do better though, since that direct injection motor of ours destroys oil at a healthy rate...do a search on this site for advice...just be sure not to run the BM oil for BM advised periods of time.

Yes... the threads about fuel dilution in the DI twin turbos scare the begeesus out of me. I plan to do a UOA on my GC when it reaches 5000 miles for just that reason so I can see if it is holding up. No way would I go anywhere near the BMW recommended OC intervals. I'm just hoping to see CG hold up well to more reasonable intervals of 7500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back