Viking Snowtech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all...I'm STILL looking for a good deal on some winter snows for my Yaris hatch. I've been researching what I can find in my size (185 60 15) and the BEST deal I can find are on a set of Viking Snowtechs (supposedly a Norwegian tire company owned by Continental). Consumer Reports (I know,I know...) did a winter tire test in 2005 and ranked them 2nd (!) stating that they were a great all-around performer...not the best in snow in ice but good and above-average for noise and handling (they're a T rated tire in my size). The topper is the price...less than $300 INSTALLED from a local dealer (if he can get them). Reviews on the internet from owners (mostly in Canada) are very positive.
Any experience or suggestions regarding these tires? My other "bang for the buck" choice if not the Vikings are Mastercraft Glacier Grip II...also a highly regarded winter tire made by Cooper. The Mastercrafts are supposedly better in snow but softer (poorer handling) and noisier. Appreciate any input...

Does BFG make the snow rated AT-KO in your size? I have used those on rear axles of pickups as snow tires for years with great results.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Does BFG make the snow rated AT-KO in your size?

They'll fit, but only with a 12" lift kit!

Boomer...I'll take the 40+ mpg and reliability of my little Toyota to the 10mpg you're getting with whatever those things fit on...

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
(supposedly a Norwegian tire company owned by Continental).

Viking used to be a Norwegian producer of tires. Now there is nothing left of the old Viking. All design and production moved out of Norway a long time ago. The Viking name is now only a brand in the Continental family of tires.
Still very good tires.

I finally ended up installing the Mastercraft Glacier Grip II on the Yaris...couldn't get the Snowtech anywhere. The tires are good on dry pavement...handling and ride on a par with the AS (although they are Bridgestone RE92's...not a great tire but I've got to drive 'em a little more next year and wear them out) and surprisingly quiet for a winter tire.

We got an unexpected dump of 18" of snow the other day and I had a chance to check them out in the snow. These tires are GREAT in the white stuff. As light as it is, the Yaris hardly seemed affected by the snow (and I drove it through some unplowed areas) and the snow braking is impressive...you'd hardly know there was snow under you. Traction is great and with all the driving I do up here in the frozen north, I think these are going to work out well. They're unstudded so I don't imagine they'll be very good on ice but aside from some specially designed (and very expensive) tires, most are made for snow and slush. We'll see how the treadwear holds up...gonna rotate every 4,000 miles until they come off in the spring...highly recommended.

There are lots of winter tires that are good or great in snow. Its finding a winter tire that is great on ice. So if you are looking at tire ratings really look for the ice rating beacuse i feel most winter tires will give pretty good or great snow traction.
I had dunlop M3 winter sport on my fusion last 2 winters. Super snow traction but only average on ice.
My toyota has uniroyal tiger paw ice and snow (studded) ok snow traction low average ice traction even with studs.
I have driven my mothers 03 ford focus with goodyear X-ice. Superb ice traction and average snow traction.

That is what i know from my own driving. Where the snow compacts to ice quickly and then it gets really cold (-30C -40C and salt will not melt it at all) so a good mix of snow and ice covered highways and then add wind to make the driving fun.

I found that the tirerack.com has some good winter tire reviews and comparisons. So for your use i would go there and see what they have to say.

as far as consumer reports are concerned, i give them some weight in my decision making process but now that i have found tirerack. I trust their write ups / reviews.

You found somebody-going into my 3rd winter w/them on my wife's Scion xB, wearing well, never had ANY problems on ice yet!! They're now made by Continental, & seem to be disappearing, being replaced with Conti's studless winter tires (for a LOT more money than I paid too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back