When to replace tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As implied by my recent post on tire options, I know I'm going to have to replace my tires soon, but I'm not quite sure how soon. I don't have any snow to contend with, and realistically not much rain either, being on the central California coast.

All my tires still pass the "penny test", but just barely in some areas (the wear is a little more pronounced at the outer edges of the tires on the front wheels right now, IIRC .. but only slightly). The wear bars are not level with the tread yet.

I'm possibly going to be going on one or more 400 mile round trips soon to help my parents with some stuff, and I'm not sure how bald to run the tires. I don't want to wear them down dangerously low, obviously, but I don't want to replace them prematurely either since that's kind of a waste of tire.

Obviously it's hard to judge without seeing them (should I post some pictures?) but I just wanted to get an idea what criteria others here use to determine when to replace tires. This is the first set I've ever run replaced for treadwear reasons (for an on-road only tire at least), so I'm new at this.

Last edited:
If you have to think about it this much and you're looking at a couple of long trips, just get new tires. You'll feel much better.

I replace tires when I am not confident in them.

When I read what you wrote, it seems like you are losing confidence.

It is time.

4/32" is when they should be replaced, according to the latest industry tests.

It sounds like yours are due for replacement.

My tires have safety wear bars molded into the tread. When any of the wear bars are the same height as the tread, I replace them. I drive in lots of rain so I typically changes tire if I'm in the rainy season slightly before the ware bars indicate the need to change. Another often overlooked issue is the condition of the side-wall. Any cracking or checking due to age, chemicals or ? will cause me to change tires out regardless of tread depth.

Stick with the old ones! You know their limitations. Watch the weather and plan ahead. I assume you have a common size and your intended next tire is available without a long wait/special order.

You have not mentioned age, if they're over 6-8 years they're done b/c the rubber is hard.

Nearly bald tires are better for fuel economy b/c there's less tread squirm.

Of course don't let some internet bozo (me) talk you out of something if it makes you uncomfortable...

I used to do the same thing with my tires, run 'em til there was little/no tread left. I figured that was getting every bit of value out of them.

Then one time I had a blowout doing that. Wife and kids were in the car on the way to Grammas for Christmas, no less. Didn't crash, but it scared the heck out of everyone in the car, including me.

Well, needless to say, from that point on, when my tires show signs of getting old/worn out, I change 'em fast.

The bottom line was that I realized trying to get that last bit of life from old tires was not the smartest thing I could do. And it's not the smartest thing you could do, either :)

The wear bars is 2/32" and it indicates minimum safety. For safe driving under the rain, 4/32" tread is minimum. Because you are going to have several long trips soon, if the weather is nice without rain then you're going to be okay. But, if in middle of the trip(s) and it rains then you may find yourself in difficult problems controlling the car on rain soak highway. Because you don't know when it is going to rain, it is raining season now in CA, you should change the tires before long trips.

I agree with the replies that said if you're worried about the tires then its time to replace them. Check the age of the tire if they're around 6 years old that should help you make the decision to change them. Tires and brakes are two things I replace if I have the slightest bit of doubt, especially going into the winter season in NY.

Frank D

I replace at or before 4/32" as well. Getting the most miles out of your tires, or another 2/10ths of an MPG, isn't worth the safety of you or your family. Tires are an incredibly inexpensive safety component on your car, the only link between you and the road. Replace them now.

Turns out I was mistaken a little bit, and I might've given the wrong impression in the thread. I'm not actually worried about them yet, just unsure of when they need to be replaced. I rechecked them last night and I was wrong with my penny test statement. The tires actually pass the "quarter test" indicating they still have at least 4/32" tread left. Don't know what I was thinking but I must've used a quarter when I checked them several weeks ago and remembered it as a penny.

Age isn't a problem here. The rubber is good and the tires are only about 2 years old.

cheetahdriver: That video is very enlightening. The huge difference between new and 4/32" surprised me a lot.

I think I'll keep an eye on them and look into replacing them soon, but not immediately. The other advantage to replacing them soon is I don't have to rotate them when I do an oil change tomorrow :)

Thanks for all the input!

Originally Posted By: rationull

cheetahdriver: That video is very enlightening. The huge difference between new and 4/32" surprised me a lot.

the thing that struck (ok, bad choice of words) me was that when the car with 4/32" tread had stopped, the car (or truck) with 2/32" was still traveling 40+MPH. the difference between new and 4/32" is large, but you can't just change tires every week. the difference between 4/32" (a good amount of usage, the parada specX on my FX is at this point after 40k)and worn out at 2/32" is just way too much to justify going after.

plus, 4/32" seems to be about the point i start having issues with hydroplaning on the interstate when i go through ponding..

Yeah that was surprising. The difference between stopped and 40 MPH can make a big difference in traffic :) Aside from getting new tires, just another reason everyone on the road should always keep a safe distance, especially on wet roads.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
4/32" is when they should be replaced, according to the latest industry tests.

It sounds like yours are due for replacement.

I agree. However I have heard 6/32 in ice and snow.

FYI, I had a lot of ice and snow issues with 4/32 tread last winter. I have since replaced the tires.

I usually let mine run down to about 3/32, almost exactly two years worth of use invariably. I've never had a blowout. Of course, I'm so stubborn that someone could point out that I have steel showing through and I'd run them until my two year mark was up.

Seeing as how my dealer won't warranty my stock Potenza RE-92 (lowest is at 4/32) after only 7K miles, I'm going to run them absolutely bald, then keep them as "training wheels" for zero-traction loss-of-control teachings for all my padawans under my wings.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back