SRAM PowerLink Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was cleaning my chain off the bike and my friend accidentally engaged the PowerLink. We are trying to "disengage" the link so that we can reinstall the chain onto the bike, but we are unsuccessful in doing so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Just push the two links toward each other and it should come loose, takes a bit of effort though. You could also try to grab the center of the powerlink so that the plates can slide off a little easier.

I usually don't remove the chain from the bike to clean it. I just spray a degreaser like Simple Green, scrub with a toothbrush and rinse off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll try that. I took it off only because I was trying to measure the length of the new chain against the old one.

A BMX style tensioner like this will allow you to adjust chain tension conveniently through a range of about 1/2." On some bikes you can use two tensioners, which allows you to achieve zero thrust angle very easily. This tensioner works only with track fork ends and not with dropouts, though. I started using those many years ago on my BMX bikes, and I have used them also on all my old MTBs. On my drive shaft bike, I could (but don't) use the tensioner to adjust the meshing gears.

tensioner_4286.jpg

tensioner_4288.jpg

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
Just push the two links toward each other and it should come loose, takes a bit of effort though. You could also try to grab the center of the powerlink so that the plates can slide off a little easier.

I usually don't remove the chain from the bike to clean it. I just spray a degreaser like Simple Green, scrub with a toothbrush and rinse off.

I figured it out, I had to squeeze to the plates together and simultaneously push the two links toward each other.

I'm going to clean the chain with carb cleaner, then relube with the new Finish Line Teflon-Plus Dry Lube.

Thanks!

I have a small needle nose pliers with a rubber band around the handles. When I open a Sram Powerlink, I put the pliers over the opposing plates of the link. The light rubber band exerts enough force to squeeze the plates together and the pliers holds on by itself. Then my both hands are free to push the link halves apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back