Motul - Ester Oil for all Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.motul.com.au/fact_sheets/estel_oil.html

"MOTUL uses Ester as base oil for its 4-stroke and 2-stroke engine oils."

Is this possible ? The Oz distributer has confirmed to me the the 'synthetic' and '100% Synthetic' its all based on Group 4 . I was asking him about Motul 4100 which is listed as Technosynthese (He said it was based on GRoup 4) which they say is different to your standard semi synths where its just a few % of synthetic.

So from this i gather, all the synthetics including semi are based on group 4, and all of the oils including the minerals have some Ester in them ? Would this be correct ?

Motuls top oils are ester based...forgot their exact name,something like e-tech 8100 or the like

300V is their flagship line (despite how quickly the stuff is cooking off in my car). Those are short OCI/race lubes, though.

The 8100 series is their flagship line of street lubes (capable of MUCH longer OCIs).

So what about their 4100 range, the Technosynthese they claim is different to standard semis. So it could still mean all the motul oils have ester in them to some extent ? The distributer then mentions to me GRoup 4. Could be a combo of all of these?

Yes. As I said, according to their statement, ALL their lubes contain esters, even the ones labeled as semi-synthetics.

Not surprising, any of the Mobil Supersyn oils also have an ester content. I imagine most good oils do.

But containing ester, doesnt mean it forms the base oil of a particular brand though ?

2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Identification of the preparation
Hazardous components Weight % CAS-No. EINECS-No.
Polyolefine succinimide polyamine -Polyol < 3 % conf conf
R53
Calcium Alkaryl sulfonate < 1 % - 271-877-7
Xi,R43,R53
Calcium Alkyl phenate < 2 % - 291-829-9
R53

This is from the 4100 MSDS. No mention on other oils. MSDS usually mention its mineral content as a hazard.

Last edited:
Its strange they don't mention any base oils in the MSDS.

OVERKILL - Yes i agree most Synthetics especially PAO based would some some Ester, but this is for a Semi Synthetic, and even Mineral oils they sell. They claim Ester for all 4 stroke and 2 stroke oils, unless its a mistake...

I'll have a UOA on motul 8100 5w40 in about a month with a amsoil ea026 filter. I have 8000km on the oil thus far and am quite happy with it. The oil still looks new , I guess the Ea filter is doing it job.

Most of the Motul line is Grp III/IV and V. They advertised a lot using the word ester but they are really no different than the others from what I've seen and read. The 300V line is most ester based I believe.

The 4100 retails for $34 U.S dollars here in Australia for 5 litres. If its only a Group 1 and Group 3 blend, which is more common with other Australian/Asian (Shell, Mobil etc.) blend Semi Synths here around the $20 mark. But if its got some Ester, Some PAO maybe, with some Group 3, then its worth it and actually well priced. Problem is finding out what they use....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back