Proline PPL20195 - Change in capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a couple Proline PPL20195 filters as part of the $9.99 Shell oil change deal at Pep Boys and noticed this:

IMG_1497.jpg

Same p/n, significant difference in height. Since these are made by Purolator, I checked all the Purolator L20195 (interchangeable with Motorcraft FL400-S)filters and none were the short style. Not sure if this is a change in specification just for the Proline or if the Purolators will also end up shorter.

I normaly use Purolator or Supertech filters, so it's not a big deal to me. Just wanted to let anyone using this filter know.

Isn't the one on the right a tad chubbier?? I don't know if it would account for the difference.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Isn't the one on the right a tad chubbier?? I don't know if it would account for the difference.

I think that's an optical illusion. They appear to be the same diameter, though I didn't actually measure them.

Well, if you still have both ..intact...just stand them gasket to gasket. It's a good optical illusion (if so). The letters on the tall and skinny are BIG ..while the shorter one has smaller letters. The gaskets do appear to both be at the outer edge of the filter ..so that tends to support the illusion theory.

Could it be that Chrysler is spec'ing a smaller filter for the 2.4 motors? If the Motorcraft hasn't changed I'd be betting that Mopar is starting to spec shorter filters for the newer 2.4's that have clearance issues.

If I recall correctly, when GM started spec'ing a smaller filter for the modular V-6's the PF-52 started getting a lot shorter before they finally settled on the 3387a (PF42). The PF-52's could be found in a wide variety of lengths by different manufacturers (even now the STP is about an inch shorter than the AC Delco.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back