Windows Vista Registry Cleaner Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for the best tool to assist in registry maintenance. Price is not an issue, but accuracy and reliability are.

Must be Windows Vista certified.

Any recommendations?

I use CCleaner and Amust Registry Cleaner on my Vista computer now. I had purchased Amust years ago, but did not install it on my Vista computer until recommended by one of the members here. Seems to keep the computer running better then ever. Here is a link with a discount:

https://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-softsell.cgi?item=12791-3

I tend to use CCleaner for a quick clean-up. But, with Amust the computer needs to be restarted when the registry is in bad shape. Sprintman said recently
Quote:
CCleaner is a very mild reg cleaner. AMUST Registry Cleaner 3.5/4.0 about the best imo and I've used a few. .

I am learning about computers, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I am have not seen negative effects, only positive ones using Amust. Version 4.0 works with Vista. The computer experts here may be able to verify what to use.

ccleaner is a light free cleaner but only AMUST Registry Cleaner realy does the job and compacts the registry too. First pass finds so many errors and duplicate entrys it will freak you out. I have v3.5 but I se v4.0 now available.

I like Ccleaner and Iobit Advanced Windowscare.......both are free.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sprintman
ccleaner is a light free cleaner but only AMUST Registry Cleaner realy does the job and compacts the registry too. First pass finds so many errors and duplicate entrys it will freak you out. I have v3.5 but I se v4.0 now available.

Thanks, m8.

I've been considering Ccleaner recently, but when perusing their web site i came across this sentence in their FAQ section:
Quote:
CCleaner is a very good registry cleaner, but it's not the best because that's not the prime focus of the tool.

That's paraphrasing, because I read that a few days ago. It's essentially what they are saying, however.

At this point, I require a dedicated tool for this job and Amust may be the most likely candidate.

No matter what product you decide to use, make sure it can thoroughly back things up before it edits the registry. If something bad happens, you need a way to restore it. Otherwise there is a decent chance your computer will be FUBAR without a complete reformat.

One of the most comical things I've ever read was in that thread you posted to, which was that Windows does a great job of maintaining the registry itself! What a FARCE!!!

When you've got Malware that has come in and polluted the registry with junk, do you HONESTLY think that Windows is going to do ANYTHING about that when the offending program is removed?

What about all the poorly written software that leaves parts of itself in the registry once uninstalled.

The most sane post from that thread was the one that stated the XP install that had a registry with the best integrity was a clean XP install.

There is only so much a registry cleaner can do. Good ones err on the side of caution; not removing things that may potentially link to a user hive or cause issues.

I have had issues with certain registry cleaners in my 20 years of playing with computers; both as a hobby and professionally, and I simply avoid those products now.

Ultimately; OSX, Linux and BSD; OS's which lack a registry have a clear advantage here. Everytime I have to deal with registry issues on a Windows box, then go back to my Linux desktop, I feel relieved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
One of the most comical things I've ever read was in that thread you posted to, which was that Windows does a great job of maintaining the registry itself! What a FARCE!!!

I agree mostly, but there are a few nuggets of valid information to be gleaned there.

Quote:

When you've got Malware that has come in and polluted the registry with junk, do you HONESTLY think that Windows is going to do ANYTHING about that when the offending program is removed?

What about all the poorly written software that leaves parts of itself in the registry once uninstalled.

Yep. Most anti-virus software is notoriously dodgy in that aspect.

Quote:
The most sane post from that thread was the one that stated the XP install that had a registry with the best integrity was a clean XP install.

There is only so much a registry cleaner can do. Good ones err on the side of caution; not removing things that may potentially link to a user hive or cause issues.

I have had issues with certain registry cleaners in my 20 years of playing with computers; both as a hobby and professionally, and I simply avoid those products now.

Care to share the benefit of that knowlege with us?

The most frightening aspect of all this is actually getting that experience.

Quote:
Ultimately; OSX, Linux and BSD; OS's which lack a registry have a clear advantage here. Everytime I have to deal with registry issues on a Windows box, then go back to my Linux desktop, I feel relieved.

Quite right, that. Windows registry gives me a headache.

I plan to install Solaris 10 on this machine as well, when Seagate release their new 4th generation 7200 rpm 2.5 inch drives.

I've had:

1. Registry Mechanic
2. TuneUP Utils 2004
3. Norton SystemWorks
4. Others, TMK, that no longer exist

All have done varying degrees of nasty things to the registry. This ranges from registration information for software disappearing (TuneUP Utils; not all that bad) to a complete registry tanking (Systemworks).

IMHO, Norton's bloat-suite; Systemworks is the WORST piece of commercial software ever conceived.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had all of those too then I got the one one that actually works from Russia, AMUST Registry Cleaner. I have have had XP installed for years and have installed and deleted so many programs it's not funny but AMUST keeps me going. I have never done an OS re-install and don't expect to. Without AMUST RC I'd be in deep [censored].

I have yet to see CCleaner do any damage; but again, it doesn't strike me as a "deep" registry cleaner and the author likely designs the program to err on the side of caution.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Had all of those too then I got the one one that actually works from Russia, AMUST Registry Cleaner. I have have had XP installed for years and have installed and deleted so many programs it's not funny but AMUST keeps me going. I have never done an OS re-install and don't expect to. Without AMUST RC I'd be in deep [censored].

I bought Amust based on online reveiws. Stopped using it for a while, then Sprintman inspired me to use it again. Besides help cleaning up the mess left after uninstalling programs I found it just a good thing to use if my computer is not running as fast and smooth as usual. Usually Amust will find the registry needs to be compacted. Once booted and compacted by Amust, seems to run fast and strong like it should. That is my observation.

I upgraded to v4.0.x this afternoon free to registered users. Better scanning and scheduling. I have installed/deinstalled so many programs for years and never reloaded OS or had a problem. AMUST is the 'ducks guts' of registry cleaners and compacters. I use CCleaner first and before I log off every time as well.

Amust registry cleaner 4.0 is probably a very good product to use in a Windows XP environment.

However, in Vista environment my experience was radically different. I downloaded the free 30-day trial version and it refused to run on my machine. I sent email to their "support" centre over a week ago informing them of this and have yet to hear back.

I de-installed and subsequently reinstalled product several times. Runtime results were identical each time.

To add insult to injury, after final removal of it from my system it left residual traces of itself in system registry. I had to use regedit to remove that.

So for now, I'm using Ccleaner and regedit to manage registry.
21.gif

How so?

Are you running SP1?

Due to problems with SP1, I'm not running it but system patches are current as of September 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back