Update on my broken Ellsworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...187#Post1251187

Update to my original thread (see above link):

I emailed Ellsworth a few weeks back about my broken frame. I didn't receive a response right away. No big deal; I figured I'd call them when I had time to deal with the whole return process. I haven't thought much about it since.

Today, I received a call from Kevin at Ellsworth bikes, and he was very helpful. As it turns out, the part of my frame that broke will be replaced at no charge to me. Ellsworth has changed the rear shock overall length since I purchased my bike. The '08 frame uses a Fox rear shock that is 1/2" longer than the one that came on my bike. So, I'm going to be out the cost of a new rear shock - $250.00

Overall, it's not as perfect a situation as I'd hoped for, but cheaper than any other alternative. I'll be sending my broken frame back to Ellsworth sometime this week. Further updates to follow.

So you'll end up with an updated design? I guess 250 isn't the end of the world. You could try to sell your old shock in the classified section of mtbr.com.... Not sure what you'd get for it, but maybe it'll help.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
So you'll end up with an updated design? I guess 250 isn't the end of the world. You could try to sell your old shock in the classified section of mtbr.com.... Not sure what you'd get for it, but maybe it'll help.

Yes, I'll get an new, updated front triangle and a new rocker arm. The chainstays and seatstays will not be replaced, unless they break at some point in the future.

I'll be selling the old shock on eBay, IF Ellsworth returns it to me. Not sure how the old shock fits into the warranty process. I'll have to wait and see.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Overall, it's not as perfect a situation as I'd hoped for

Can you push harder to get them to pay for the shock too? I don't see why the customer should shoulder the cost ... move up the Ellsworth food chain if needed.

That's like having something on your car break. They don't have the old part, so they give you a new model. You just have to buy the rest of the new car that goes with it!

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Overall, it's not as perfect a situation as I'd hoped for

Can you push harder to get them to pay for the shock too? I don't see why the customer should shoulder the cost ... move up the Ellsworth food chain if needed.

Unfortunately, No. Tony Ellsworth's personal take on this very issue:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=5487

To be fair, the warranty from my '03 does state that charges will be incurred if the technology has changed to the point that replacement parts for a particular model are no longer available.

As far as I know, Ellsworth is very good about honoring their parts.
I don't think they're making much money off that shock. Your time spent worrying could go to something more productive, basically.

FS frames are expensive, don't forget that!

I could put a set of new front struts on a Corolla for $250...
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
21.gif

And get cheaper tires, cheaper brake pads, probably cheaper calipers, and cheaper wheel bearings too for your corolla. Quality bikes are kind of funny that way, some things cost quite abit as they are more performance oriented and not really mass produced like corolla parts.
If you wanted decent adjustable gas struts for your corolla they are $400 each. Good performance tires $180 each, light weight rims $250 each. If your corolla was made out of aluminum and carbon fibre it wouldn't be $14k anymore either, more like $40k. The way I think about it, is that a $2000 bike is like a corvette Z06 in the car world, high performance for your $. I'm not going to own a Z06 anytime soon but I can enjoy a high performance vehicle for only $2k. Pointing that Ellsworth downhill on windy single track is just as exciting as tracking a Z06.
Ian

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
21.gif

And get cheaper tires, cheaper brake pads, probably cheaper calipers, and cheaper wheel bearings too for your corolla. Quality bikes are kind of funny that way, some things cost quite abit as they are more performance oriented and not really mass produced like corolla parts.
If you wanted decent adjustable gas struts for your corolla they are $400 each. Good performance tires $180 each, light weight rims $250 each. If your corolla was made out of aluminum and carbon fibre it wouldn't be $14k anymore either, more like $40k. The way I think about it, is that a $2000 bike is like a corvette Z06 in the car world, high performance for your $. I'm not going to own a Z06 anytime soon but I can enjoy a high performance vehicle for only $2k. Pointing that Ellsworth downhill on windy single track is just as exciting as tracking a Z06.
Ian

Well said

Update:

After a long period of procrastination, I finally got my busted frame shipped backed to Ellsworth today. I should have my shiny new Truth frame with new rear shock, new bearings, and all new mounting hardware, in 3 weeks or so. I'll be sure to post pics when it arrives.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
Just wondering what material is the frame made out of on your old frame?

Aluminum.

I just spoke with the good folks at Ellsworth. They are building up my new frame today. Turns out there was also a hairline fracture (that I couldn't see) on the shockstay (seatstay). So, I will be getting a frame back with only one original component (chainstays). I'm excited!

I received my new frame today. The only original pieces are the clear-anodized aluminum (shiny pieces). Everything else, including mounting hardware and bearings, and shock, is new. I should have it built up and ready to ride in a week or so.

2008TruthFrame2.jpg

My new frame is in the shop having the new headset cups and bottom bracket installed today. Re-assembly begins in earnest tomorrow. Assuming re-assembly goes without any hiccups, I should be back on the mountain riding again this weekend, with 65-70°F temps. I can't wait!!! Pics of the newly built bike will be posted as soon as I get it finished.

You don't do all that yourself? Where's the fun in having some put your bike together for you?
48.gif

*patiently waiting for pictures*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back