Is oil consumption always a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wifes 3.0 Aerostar uses a quart every 1300 miles. It's almost like it always has fresh oil. Last OCI at 6000 miles the blotter looked very good. Kind of hated to change the oil. Probably could get away with never changing and just spinning a filter every 5000 to 7000 miles. Of course an occasional UOA would be a good idea if I were to go to the never change routine.

Check to see where the leak is coming from if it is a leak check around the oil sender and valve covers also check the pcv system look at the oil pan and all around under the car.. Does it smoke? I have seen high mileage oils do wonders for oil consumption.. what year? those 3.0 engines are pretty good engines unlike the 3.8 which we see many with head gasket problems..

No leaks. Some seepage, but not enough to account for the consumption, nor even to leave a drip on the ground. No blue smoke (am told the cat eats a lot of smoke).

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Check to see where the leak is coming from if it is a leak check around the oil sender and valve covers also check the pcv system look at the oil pan and all around under the car.. Does it smoke? I have seen high mileage oils do wonders for oil consumption.. what year? those 3.0 engines are pretty good engines unlike the 3.8 which we see many with head gasket problems..

I've never known of a 3.8 to blow a head gasket. The main problem on these is the upper intake manifold gaskets. The 3.1, 3.3, 3.4 etc. it's the lower intakes.

My bad. Missed that part
33.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Wifes 3.0 Aerostar uses a quart every 1300 miles. It's almost like it always has fresh oil. Last OCI at 6000 miles the blotter looked very good. Kind of hated to change the oil. Probably could get away with never changing and just spinning a filter every 5000 to 7000 miles. Of course an occasional UOA would be a good idea if I were to go to the never change routine.

Did you ever A-rx that engine? I'm finishing up my first clean rinse cycle in my 93 Aerostar. Didn't notice much of anything yet, but I still have another complete cycle to go. I'm using about 1/2 qt/1500-1700 miles now. My Aerostar always ran well though.

Frank D

When I used ARX in my F150 it didn't seem to do much, but I need to go back and re-evaluate things. All I have is that the filters had a lot of chunky stuff in them and the blotters seemed a lot worse than normal for that truck.

Didn't think the ARX would do anything for the Aerostar as I ran Redline for a year and it didn't help. Who knows, seems some get great results from ARX, others seemingly nothing. But few of the evaluations are really fair--before and after valve cover off photos.

Some cars are designed to use a bit of oil (BMW M5/6, Audi RS4, 2.0TFSI..) when driven hard, I think it is a good thing since it refreshes the oil a little between oil changes ,which are quite long nowadays considering the power outputs to displacement and reduced fuel consumption.
As Doug Hillary said, as long as it is not excessive and within manufacturer’s specifications it is ok. Driving style has a lot to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back