GC too thick for normal winter temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
GC in my Toyota has never given me a problem in five Chicago winters. Car is used as a commuter with outside parking and two cold starts per day. No noise, no hard cranking.

That`s good to know,I have an older RX 300 (2001) and have used the GC over the summer,but not yet in the winter.

Use the stuff year-round, and don't sweat it! Do a UOA on some winter oil if you really want to generate some extra "comfort level". I ran a fill of GC in my wife's Sequoia for 14 months (reported long ago in the UOA section), and it did fine. Of course, our Northwest Florida winters are nothing like what you see up there, we still have plenty of "25-30-ish" mornings up here (this ain't Miami up here...), and the oil did wonderfully.

You know it is fun to watch each "generation" of BITOG members go through the process of "learning the ropes" regarding oil in general and the Elixer in particular. That is not meant to be a demeaning comment in any way. I have learned SO MUCH in this place, but I do reserve the right to claim to be a tenured professor when it comes to the work of the Elvish ones. By the way, since I started participating in BITOG again, I have been getting voice mails that say only, "We are not far away. We could return." We will just have to see where all that leads us.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
You know it is fun to watch each "generation" of BITOG members go through the process of "learning the ropes" regarding oil in general and the Elixer in particular. That is not meant to be a demeaning comment in any way. I have learned SO MUCH in this place, but I do reserve the right to claim to be a tenured professor when it comes to the work of the Elvish ones. By the way, since I started participating in BITOG again, I have been getting voice mails that say only, "We are not far away. We could return." We will just have to see where all that leads us.

Were you not the proprietor of the Elves?
Were you not responsible for the creation of a separate sub-forum on BITOG?

Originally Posted By: pscholte

As one who has enjoyed your post for many years==WELCOME BACK.

With you and Doug in the same thread it is like old home week

Last edited:
Hi,
gtoracer - pscholte, I and the Elves?

Well please don't tell pscholte but I plan to be in Germany around May next year. Porsche and MB call! I'll have my GPS functioning and I plan to do a bit of Elf watching!

Rumour has it that they are planning to change a few names and add "OEM" and "SLX" etc again. Now I believe that their biggest threat, EM, is also changing names to confuse them as well - they are in the numbers game like 1000, 2000, 3000 and etc - it's all a "code " thing as I grab it. As well rumour has it that EM is sitting at the VW-Audi "round table" to try and oust the Elves from there - I do wonder..................

Anyway I have a green peaked cap and nice boots being made just for the Eifels and Schwarzenwald - they'll never find me!

gtoracer,

Thanks for the welcome back. As to Doug's email I hardly know where to begin. Doug, don't expect to see any elves around Stuttgart...ever since Porsche decided to go with Mobil1, they are boycotting Baden-Württemberg EXCEPT for the Black Forest and a little Gasthaus in Tübingen where the Rahmschnitzel is incredible. EM only has the influence the Elvish ones allow them to have so if they want back in the Audi fold, they will be back. They are currently mad at VW so I don't know what might happen there. They tell me getting the primary recommendation from Renault would be fun...they really like the new Megane. I will let you all know what I hear. They like the GTO as well but they wish it had a little more of the Oz touch to it. Standing by!

Der Elfmeister

I was in candian tire this afternoon and picked up both GC 0w30 and PP 5w30. One to use this winter and one over next summer. Not sure of which of these two. winter does get cold around these parts which makes it ideal for 0w but then the near 40 wt makes the case for holding it for summer. Any suggestions ?.. PP now and GC for summer or otherway around?

Not really my mitsu is specd for 5w20 in Canada (10w40 in Australia but thats a different story). Didnt notice any difference going to 5w30. In fact, UOA was better with 30wt oil. But my understanding is that GC is thicker than PP even at -20c... correct?

Originally Posted By: Seth
Not really my mitsu is specd for 5w20 in Canada (10w40 in Australia but thats a different story). Didnt notice any difference going to 5w30. In fact, UOA was better with 30wt oil. But my understanding is that GC is thicker than PP even at -20c... correct?

Well, thicker isn't always better. I probably wouldn't run a thick 30 in a vehicle speced for a 20. GC is just about as thick as you can get and still be called "30" so at the extreme you're jumping almost 2 grades. Even in the winter your engine probably spends more of the time it's running at operating temp, not -20, right?

A lot of folks with smaller engines (typically Japanese four cylinder models) have felt GC was too thick (both viscosity and high HTHS). You may not like it at all, regardless of what the UOAs may say.

There should be some really nice 0W20s out there. Have you checked out the Amsoil lineup? I have nothing that uses 20wt at the moment so I have no top-of-head info for you. Personally, I'd look for a 20 or a thin 30 for your application.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I chuckle when I see 0W30 'to thick'. What do they say about 40W70 I wonder?
Different culture here and years of cafe standards!!!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: sprintman
I chuckle when I see 0W30 'to thick'. What do they say about 40W70 I wonder?
Different culture here and years of cafe standards!!!

What are you guys talking about?

I called it a "thick 30", those words go together in the sentence.

And a "thick 30" is "too thick" for an engine which calls for "20".

I don't get what's so funny, or where I generalized 30 as "thick".

BTW, no CAFE in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back