Jeep 4.0 I-6: filter choice to replace FL-300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings:

Well, it looks like Wal-Mart is no longer going to carry the Motorcraft FL300 anymore, at least in my area. The other choices that they have for my '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 would be:

Mopar MO-090 (looks like a Purolator painted black)
Motorcraft FL1A (longer version of FL300)
Supertech Ecore ST16 or ST8A
Fram... no thanks!

Any thoughts on what to use now if I buy from WM? I was leaning towards the Motorcraft FL1A but was not sure if there was any downside to using the larger filter (pressure drop, efficiency, etc.) I am doing 5K intervals with Havoline DS 5w30/10w30 (winter/summer) at the moment.

Thanks,

Andrew S.

i guess i'd go with the Supertech 8A since its a bit shorter then the FL1A shouldn't be a clearance issue or anything.

are you sure the Mopar is purolator made? if it is i would go that route as well, unless they are still made by fram, which they used to be.

if you have an Advance Auto Parts they carry the FL-300 for $4.29 in my area. The Wally's here carry the FL-300 as of last week. Only 3 on the shelf but 2 had sold recently as I had to reach back to get one for the GF's Mariner.

If there are no clearance issues, use the FL1A. It only holds 1/4 to 1/2 quart more oil than the FL300, and it has the same pressure relief valve as the FL300. Chrysler has been using the sort filter since the 318 V8 because of clearance problems, and they have just stuck with them.

Most 4.0 engines can handle a FL1A sized filter. If it has a right angle mount, it can even handle a longer one (I forget what a 96 Grand uses). Some of the TJ's can have minor issues where the filter angles down and comes in real close proximity to the motor mount. The Rubi's have the engine raised off of the frame rails about 3" higher than on the earlier made TJ's.

Great information - thanks to everyone for the replies.

The Mopar filter is definitely a Purolator of some sort - the baseplate is a dead giveaway. Perhaps that one is a PureOne in disguise like the Motorcrafts are.

My '96 Grand has the right angle mount so a longer filter is no problem.

It sounds like any of the ones that I mentioned will be fine for my relatively short 5000 mile interval. I am leaning toward the longer FL1A style.

Hmm...

I just read the separate thread about Mopar filters. I am going to take a closer look at those the next time I am in WM since they sound very good based on Petty's feedback.

Thanks again,

Andrew S.

Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Greetings:

Well, it looks like Wal-Mart is no longer going to carry the Motorcraft FL300 anymore, at least in my area. The other choices that they have for my '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 would be:

Mopar MO-090 (looks like a Purolator painted black)
Motorcraft FL1A (longer version of FL300)
Supertech Ecore ST16 or ST8A
Fram... no thanks!

Any thoughts on what to use now if I buy from WM? I was leaning towards the Motorcraft FL1A but was not sure if there was any downside to using the larger filter (pressure drop, efficiency, etc.) I am doing 5K intervals with Havoline DS 5w30/10w30 (winter/summer) at the moment.

Thanks,

Andrew S.

Why not use this here. I use this on my Jeep 4.0L
pureone.jpg

Last edited:
You could also use the Donaldson P169071 (synth. media, very expensive), Fleetguard LF 3487 (also synth.element), Baldwin B2-HPG, Amsoil Ea 015 ($$$$), and do two oil changes per one filter.

Yup, the construction of the Donaldson Synteq (which I run) and the Fleetguard filters seem to be identical, and of superb quality.

Closer to Premium Plus, I suspect. Not all of them have silicon ADBV ..unless FORD spec's one. They will conform to FORD OEM spec's for everything. That may or may not be akin to what spec's PureOne conforms to.

Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Hmm...

I just read the separate thread about Mopar filters. I am going to take a closer look at those the next time I am in WM since they sound very good based on Petty's feedback.

Thanks again,

Andrew S.

Indeed, i look at them when i was at walmart yesterday and they are definitely the purolator design, but i think they were just over 4 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back