Ford bearing grease, moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2002 Ford Ranger front wheel bearings (disc brakes).

Does this require a special moly grease? Valvolene has one specifically for Fords, but it's temp. specifications don't impress me.

Any over the counter recommendations? Seems like Mobil and valvolene are most present around here.

Thanks

Ford recommends moly in it's wheel bearing greases.

Honestly, I like the Motorcraft Long Life Grease the most out of any of the less expensive $2-3 tubes of grease.

The Motorcraft 4x4 High Temp grease (XG-11) is impressive (575 deg drop point) for high loads, but it's also $22 a tube.

Mobil 1 grease separates like crazy, I've used it in several applications and have been unimpressed with it.

Can't say anything bad about the Valvoline SynPower grease. I've used and it seems to be stable.

If you're a spec junkie, why not give the Redline CV-2 or Amsoil Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease, NLGI #2, GC/LB (GHD) a shot?

Would check your owners manual, will state Ford spec.

I use the Valvoline Ford Moly grease on the Ford in my signature (bearings, zerks,etc) as my truck calls for M1C75, and the Valvoline Ford meets that and its cheap ($3.99 in Advance Auto)

What makes the 02 Ranger front wheel bearings different from any other wheel bearing? I would use any lithium-based NLGI 2 grease that is heat resistant and has EP additives... basically any good wheel bearing grease.

I wish Mobil would market its Infinitec grease -- one of the best wheel bearing greases they offer. It is specifically made for wheel bearings and is cheaper than Mobil 1 synthetic. The reason it isn't used in our manufactured wheel bearing product and doesn't have widespread acceptance is that it's not pumpable - hand pack only. Otherwise, a great grease.

Quote:
What makes the 02 Ranger front wheel bearings different from any other wheel bearing?

Do you have to ask, Kestas? It's "in the book". That's the only difference I can tell! And, by now, you should know about my "by the book" fetish.

Other than Ford's M1C75B spec., I would like to know the difference too. Somewhere, I read that spec. regarded some "wear scar" test.

When queried about Valvoline Ford vs. Duralube grease, they wrote back:

"Both greases will meet this particular Ford specification, which basically means that the grease has to contain at least 1% Molybdenum Disulfide in the formula. The DuraBlend Grease is the better product, as this synthetic blended grease will handle higher temperatures for disc wheel bearing applications."

The Durablend does not list meeting the Ford spec. on the website. Their "Ford" grease is a lithium hydroxystearate, has low temp. ratings, yet says it's good for Ford disc. brake wheel bearings.....confusing.

Odd, but I thought that only Lithium complex greases with higher temp ratings were suitable for disc. brake wheel bearings.

I will go with the Durablend or Synpower grease unless I find something better on the local shelves. The info on the valvoline website is a bit confusing.

Last edited:
Quote:
The Valvoline Ford-Lincoln-Mercury grease is nothing at all like the Motorcraft Long Life grease.

How? The Valvoline actually has a better dropping point temp., 400F vs 350F for the Motorcraft Long Life.

It's a totally different grease. Consistency, odor, color, everything, my point was only that the Motorcraft isn't rebranded Valvoline.

High temp disc brake wheel bearing grease.
Synthetic if you like.
But clean out all the old stuff when replacing it with new grease.

Thanks Mechtech and others,

Since you chimed in to keep this thread alive.....it's your's and Kestas' answer that makes me wonder how the Motorcraft long life and the Valvoline Ford grease are recommended for disc. brakes?

Neither are high temperature lithium COMPLEX grease that is usually associated with disc brake applications. THIS IS WHAT BUGS ME MOST.

Anyone know?

For you guys asking, I looked at the Conoco Phillips site and found a product "similar" to the Motorcraft long life (has moly and poly). http://tds.econocophillips.com/catalogs/Conoco/Greases/FOB Dynalife Moly Poly TDS Web.pdf

The Conoco label says that it is for only regular wheel bearings (not disc.) and "implies" that the M1C75B Ford spec. is for long life chassis wear. Hmmmmm?

I read through the Conoco product data sheet. You're right, they say it's good for drum brakes, but make no mention of disc brakes. Nor does it specifically say that it has high temperature resistance as mentioned in the Ford grease product data. It's probably good as a chassis lube and for wheel bearings drum brakes, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back