Heated oil dipsticks - any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot that these exist until I saw one today at a local store. I had considered an oil pan heater in the past but I plan on replacing my winter truck in the springtime, so I was thinking the dipstick may work to heat the oil before driving.

Comments?

I have heard these oil pan heaters are pretty good, I do not know about the dipstick heaters.

Just make sure to unplug it before you drive away.

What brand of motor oil are you using, the weight, and do you use synthetic or mineral oil.

If you are using synthetic oil, you may not need this dipstick heater.

I have never trusted dipstick heaters. If it's cold enough for you to need engine heating a warm dipstick will only affect a relatively small area. There are magnetic oil pan heaters available that will heat a larger amount of oil and also allow the oil pickup tube at the bottom of the pan to work better in cold temperatures.

Block heaters that heat the coolant either by a freeze plug replacement or an inline circulating pump are your best bet by far. Battery blankets are good for wrapping your battery to prevent weak starting, but should not be attached to your block.

I used a combination of all three during a stint in subzero weather and never had any starting problems at all...

I run GC (0W30) in this particular vehicle. I have noticed extended cranking times when temps were under -10F or so, so I was thinking it may be beneficial to warm the oil at those temps. I had a block heater on a winter-only truck years ago, and it made a world of difference, of course back then I was running strictly dino oil.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, but the idea of going outside in -20F with 8" of snow on the hood and everywhere, taking out the heated dipstick, retrieving the other dipstick, etc. sounds like a major PITA at 5:30 in the morning in winter.

I have heard that they can and do short out with regularity and generally regarded as junk. Use a block heater or at the least an inline radiator hose heater.

Scoobie I did not see your reply when I wrote my last...

I would idelly like an oil pan heater but could not find one where the pad was magnetic, only adhesive, and I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of putting it on a vehicle I may only own for six more months.

If you could point me to a good brand of pan heater that is magnetic, I would be grateful!

In old days, 60's dipstick heaters used to carbonize the oil, that is heat the oil in immediate vicinity of the dipstick to the point of damaging it. This is a point to consider when using dipstick heater.

Originally Posted By: methusaleh
Scoobie I did not see your reply when I wrote my last...

I would idelly like an oil pan heater but could not find one where the pad was magnetic, only adhesive, and I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of putting it on a vehicle I may only own for six more months.

If you could point me to a good brand of pan heater that is magnetic, I would be grateful!

Katz is the company that makes quite a bit of these. Just google "katz heaters" or similar. There are a lot of styles of these. Check this link: http://www.google.com/products?q=magnetic+oil+pan+heaters&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en&show=dd

Wolverine is another well known manufacturer of these.

THANKS for that link! My needs have been answered! Those would be ideal for me.

And yes the possibility of the dipstick "cooking" some of the oil is not comforting at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back