Site sponsor info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone contact me and send me site sponsor info?
Thank you.

- skoh

What do you want? Do you want to become a site sponsor? If so, what are your wares?

There's room for new players here. Choices are good. If Eneos is any good, it will get recognition over time here on BITOG. But I do think that to advertise and offer to sell products, one needs to pay the sponsor fees.

Why aren't there more oil companies on the site?
I'm surprised Redline, Mobil 1, etc. are not on here.

Most forums like this end up being a food fight of brand vs brand and they get way out of hand. While this forum is a big exception to the normal result of an oil forum, many vendor's avoid the forums.

The moderators of this forum keep a very good balance of helping posters and managing the noise.

Then why is ANY company/brand allowed to be a site sponsor?

It seems that by only allowing Amsoil & Schaeffer to advertise, BITAG is in fact promoting these brands.

Not exactly objective and certainly not following the claim:

"Unlike most private motor oil web sites, Bob Is The Oil Guy is not about selling you something."
- Except products from our sponsors and by the way, no other sponsors need apply.

well if you don't click on the advertising links, then who cares
wink.gif
I barely even notice the ads, and when I do I don't think one has swayed me into buying products from them. Site has to generate some $$$ to help pay for itself somehow.

I have no problem with that. Anyone can ignore ads, posts, etc.

But, don't claim to be objective and then promote Amsoil.
- Just call the site: Bob Is The Amsoil Guy (BITAG)

Originally Posted By: ericp

It seems that by only allowing Amsoil & Schaeffer to advertise, BITAG is in fact promoting these brands.

"Unlike most private motor oil web sites, Bob Is The Oil Guy is not about selling you something."
- Except products from our sponsors and by the way, no other sponsors need apply.

Which companies have had their sponsorship refused?

Originally Posted By: XS650

Which companies have had their sponsorship refused?

I think the key question is:

Is sponsorship open to other oil companies/brands or only a select few that BITAG wants to promote?

Others have. Castrol corporate was a site sponsor for a good while, and there was an Exxonmobil distributor that was a site sponsor for a long time too. There was a redline distributor that was on the site a long while ago and gave a 10% discount to BITOG members.

Its up to the site members to decide if they want to support the sponsors, and it is a business decision for the sponsors to pay the fee - they need to make business for the fee to be worthwhile. Likely the big oil companies realize that the average buyer will go to walmart to buy their wares. This may not be the right forum to advertise, and distributors of those products can have a tough time selling them when you can drive a few miles and get them.

Then, lets not forget other services and goods from LC/FP, Terry Dyson, Auto-Rx, etc. that have come and gone over the years.

Some folks that could very well be sponsors have either not approached with the question, or have left the site because their tact was not enjoyed by the members of the forum.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Others have. Castrol corporate was a site sponsor for a good while, and there was an Exxonmobil distributor that was a site sponsor for a long time too. There was a redline distributor that was on the site a long while ago and gave a 10% discount to BITOG members.

Its up to the site members to decide if they want to support the sponsors, and it is a business decision for the sponsors to pay the fee - they need to make business for the fee to be worthwhile. Likely the big oil companies realize that the average buyer will go to walmart to buy their wares. This may not be the right forum to advertise, and distributors of those products can have a tough time selling them when you can drive a few miles and get them.

Then, lets not forget other services and goods from LC/FP, Terry Dyson, Auto-Rx, etc. that have come and gone over the years.

Some folks that could very well be sponsors have either not approached with the question, or have left the site because their tact was not enjoyed by the members of the forum.

I understand there have been other sponsors in the past.
My question is: Is sponsorship open to all oil companies/brands?

If not, what is the selection criteria?
Then, Is there a vote from by "members of the forum?"

Absolutely BITOG does not "promote" Amsoil. Please present some evidence if you claim this. Just because Gary and I pay a site sponsor fee does NOT mean this site promotes Amsoil, any more than say NBC promotes Castrol for having Castrol ads.

If anything it's the opposite. One thing you maybe don't know is that Bob is/was a Scheafer's distributor when he founded this site.

EDIT: Any oil company can sponsor here. Just pay the fees. No selection process other than first come. OH and without sponsors the site would cease to exist or would need to charge fees.

Last edited:
My issue is why or what is the main issue to be a sponsor? What is the price and what do/does the business get?

Terry Dyson is gone for some odd/owner reason. The selection is few and far between. PLus sonsors mean zero to me. It is like being an Amsoil dealer. Any clown can sign up..

Originally Posted By: dargo
My issue is why or what is the main issue to be a sponsor? What is the price and what do/does the business get?

Terry Dyson is gone for some odd/owner reason. The selection is few and far between. PLus sonsors mean zero to me. It is like being an Amsoil dealer. Any clown can sign up..

Why? Advertising.
Main issue? No sure what you mean. I was invited by Bob in 2002.
Price? Enough. Helen can divulge if she wants, but I consider it private.
What does the business get? Advertising.

Terry left on his own accord for some dispute or another. I have no inside scoop on the details.
Turnover is low. Is this a bad thing? How?
Any person can sign up to be a dealer. Those who work hard succeed. Clowns need not apply, so I won't take your wisecrack as an insult.
So, if sponsors mean zero to you why respond in this thread?

Yes. Generally, sites have media kits identifying the benefits & cost of various levels of sponsorship which are published.

Pablo: Can you share the benefits & costs of sponsorship?

Yes. Generally, sites have media kits identifying the benefits & cost of various levels of sponsorship which are published.

Pablo: Can you share the benefits & costs of sponsorship?

I cannot share the costs, because I consider that Helen's private business. It's not mine to share.

Benefits are not instant monetary wealth but worth it in the long run.

I think it was just stated. I dont know how much more can be said. This site is not biased towards one oil or product or whatnot, as stated, different companies have come and gone, it is typically a business decision based upon revenue. We have even seen some businesses form, be sponsors, do well, and then be overcome by materials costs and shut down (e.g. specialty formulations). None of this can be controlled by the site.

You can also see that we do severely limit the number of Amsoil dealers allowed to be site sponsors. Folks who come here to sell get shut down pretty quick. We have two US and one Canadian rep on here. That is all. We have lots of other dealers who come on to participate, but arent allowed to sell or link to their sales pages.

The "know it alls" who have come in here and caused big flare-ups and argments have turned numerous professionals who were site sponsors away. Professionals making a living off of oil and lubrication technology cant necessarily be bothered by know it alls arguing points that are moot or non-issues in reality.

Again, I dont know what more can be said. I think Pablo showed the benefits of sponsorship already. He doesnt desire to share price, and frankly, that is something that is between the potential sponsor and the site owner.

Im going to shut this down for a bit, because nothing constructive is coming from it. Ill let Helen open it back up if she desires, and if you have interest in being a site sponsor, please contact her. She is the one who calls the shots on how her site is run, and she is the one who runs the "business" of this site, which is really to cover the costs for its existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back