Best oil for LT1 engine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 1995 LT1 camaro auto tranny, with 159k miles. car current had real main seal leak fix. I dont know what oils is preview owner use, what is good oil and filter for this lt1 engine, and what is good auto tranny and rear fluid for this car ? thanks

Last edited:
I used Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 and 10W-30 in my sister's old '94 Firebird with the LT1 and it stopped a small oil leak it had and it ran great with it, so I would highly recommend MaxLife for your application in either 5W-30 or 10W-30 grades. Not sure about what to use for your transmission and differential, sorry.

I use AC Delco or Purolator filters. I'm not sure what filter the F-cars use, but mine uses the PF52 filter. if I use Delcos I usually run Ultraguard Gold ones.. As for oil, German Castrol 0w30 :)

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
To my knowledge, dosent German Castrol work real great in those engines

I had good results using GC 0w30 in my old LT1 Firebird Formula. It showed better wear numbers than Maxlife 10w30 did.

Camaros in the mid-late 90's with the LT 1 engines never called for mobil 1...it's not even on the oil fil cap.

Quaker State or Pennzoil 5w-30 is what I would put in it.

If it's burning oil MaxLife 5w-30, however it shouldn't be even with 160K on the clock. GM put great positive seals in those heads.

My sister's '94 LT1 burned quite a bit of oil, enough to damage the catalytic converter. It also tended to leak before I started using MaxLife. It also backfired a bit, I bet that engine had more serious issues than just a leak and consumption... -shrug- That car was more trouble than it was worth. It was owned by two teenage boys before we got ahold of it, that should speak volumes as to how the engine was probably treated before.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: dbvettez061
Read your owners manual Mobil 1

Only LT1 vettes were commissioned with Mobil 1 from the factory. More or less probably due to the fact they did not come with oil coolers, and probably some marketing too;)

good oil/filter any good 10W-30 dino and K&N or amsoil oil filter. ATF try the maxlife dex/merc and rear any good 75W-90.

you probably have the auburn clutch diff and it's probably shot. you'll know if you have inside wheel spin accelerating out of corners.

i'd change the fuel filter too, it's easy, and the PVC valve, and shoot out the throttle body and dump a bottle of Redline SI-1 in the tank

Originally Posted By: Buffman
Originally Posted By: dbvettez061
Read your owners manual Mobil 1

Only LT1 vettes were commissioned with Mobil 1 from the factory. More or less probably due to the fact they did not come with oil coolers, and probably some marketing too;)

True. Corvettes lost the oil cooler due to the synthetic oil being good enough to not need it. I have a 94 LT1 Vette that has only run Mobil 1. No problems and I would recommend F-cars run it too. However, with those miles you may be wise to run the maxlife like a previous poster said.

I would think more of the line that the vette didn't come with the cooler because there was no room, but then again I've never peaked under a C4 vette.

I'm running GC @ 174K. No leaks.. Although I did put a new oil pan gasket on it almost two years ago, and it does have fresh valve cover gaskets and intake gaskets.. I'd show you the UOA, but I think I had contaimination from the powdercoated intake (media blasted), that really made the UOA look like (hope it's not) certain engine death.

GMB
I have a 95 6MT-runs really sweet- the only thing that make me believe this is "300 horsepower" is the dust in the negine bay, otherwise I swear someone took a cam to it
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back