Redline vs Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've ask a few oil questions about my friends Metro over the last week, well I have a question about my own vehicle.

Redline vs Royal Purple. I can't read UOA's yet, so if someone could help me determine which is considered the "Better" oil. Thanks

What type of car/driving do you do? You'd have to have the oil analyzed.

Ironic thing is, both of these oils on BITOG show mediocre to poor oil analysis results, yet have a tremendous reputation among the racing crowd. Royal Purple from what I understand makes top notch racing oils. Redline as well.
smile.gif

quote:

Can you post a link where Royal Purple street oil recieved a bad UOA?

Bad meaning what? Royal Purple has shown decent results, but the oil has shown to shear or thin in many oil analysis reports. Do a search for Royal Purple.
cheers.gif

I don't know the first thing about reading VOA's or UOA's but I found 3 quarts of royal purple maxgear 75w90 on sale and it was time to change the fluid in my rear diff. I've gone through 3 tanks of gas since then and on all 3 I picked up approx. 1.5 mpg over my usual mpg with the stock fluid. I don't know how good their motor oils are but in my opinion their gear lube is great stuff.

< Loves Syncromax and there gear fluid

I know SF may be better, but I can drive and get RP without waiting for shipping. =D

Either way I think im gonna go back to running straight Redline, on 3,000 mile OCIs.

Yes im insane. 3,000 OCI with synthetic.
lol.gif
pat.gif

Redline is better. The Royal Purple street oil tends to shear. However, Royal Purple's best oil appears to be its racing oil. Royal Purple Racing 41 has shown excellent UOA and is shear stable unlike the Royal Purple street oil.

Well, I don't think (and this is ONLY MY OPINION) that UOAs tell us exactly what we think they do, so I don't chose an oil based on that alone. I might if I had known about and used Terry Dyson's service before joining this board.

Either way, I think RedLine is superior oil. I can't claim it's necessary or cost-effective in lots of applications, but I like it best on its own.

Several years ago I was talking to Royal Purple's tech folks for a couple of days about various things, and they told me at that time that their street oils at least were NOT synthetic. IIRC they may have been a blend, but I don't remember for sure any more. It seems that, at least then, it was their additive package that was doing the lifting for them (not unlike many Schaeffer oils now). That doesn't make it a bad/worse choice, but if that is still true, it may explain the tendency for their street oils to shear down.

I think you'll have good luck with either.

Is there an acceptable shear rate???? I mean RP tends to shear out of grade but by how much? If it's right at the cusp is it such a big deal?

quote:

Originally posted by bulwnkl:
Several years ago I was talking to Royal Purple's tech folks for a couple of days about various things, and they told me at that time that their street oils at least were NOT synthetic. IIRC they may have been a blend, but I don't remember for sure any more. It seems that, at least then, it was their additive package that was doing the lifting for them (not unlike many Schaeffer oils now).

I know nothing about Royal Purple oil...I do wish their web site was more informative. Schaeffer uses the very best conventional base oils, far superior to the high volume base oils of the same Group. That is an important part of the oil's quality, as well as the best additive package. This is how they've developed premium synthetic blend oils that are equal or better than many of the common "full synthetic" oils, and give a lower cost per mile when run for the oil's full life.

Ken

Below you will find a link that has all RP UOA for one vechile! WHile the UOA for this engine with this oil is not horrable it is not that great compared to other like vechiles runing far more common and cheaper oils includeing dino and synthetics. You will find that if you look at all the RP UOA you will not see to many that are great! They are usualy not as good as the same engine running M1 of the same viscosity. RP street oils tend to shear down rapidly! You also have to compare RP Street oils against Redline Street oils. The only RP reports that I have seen that really impressed me were the RP raceing line of oils and those run close to $10 a quart! Redline street oils on the other hand can be had for $6.95!

Redline has shown great results in imports especialy Toyota's and Subaru's! I do not think that RP is any better from what I have seen then M1 and with the advent of M1EP RP is likely to be even less effective by comparison!

Compare this string of UOA to other Tundra's runing 10W30 M1 and dino oils for a comparison!

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001471#000000

cheers.gif

Bugshu, I belive that 59Vetteman uses 15W40 Long Hual RP wich is an interly different beast then the rest of the line up. How many people are going to be useing a synthetic 15W40? I think that most of the 5W30 and 10W30 RP reports show some shearing.I do not think it is acceptable with a synthetic 5W30 or 10W30 especialy when most places charge a premium for RP compared to M1! Redline on the other hand is the most shear table oil we have seen on this site!

quote:

Originally posted by Big John:
Is there an acceptable shear rate???? I mean RP tends to shear out of grade but by how much? If it's right at the cusp is it such a big deal?

Some info I've seen (from an analysis lab? from an SAE or ACEA spec?) says shearing and thickening are acceptable to the greater of 20% or the limits of the oil's SAE viscosity grade.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Schaeffer uses the very best conventional base oils, far superior to the high volume base oils of the same Group. That is an important part of the oil's quality, as well as the best additive package.

Yes, I agree. Still, I'm of the rather strong opinion that additives are far more important than base stocks, although SM/GF-4 may be changing that.

Nevertheless, IMO RedLine has the best of both. Each person just has to decide whether they need it or, more likely, whether it's worth it to them to pay for it.

There has been a very limited amount of UOA's with Royal Purple. There were a handful of them where there was some fuel dilution in the oil and people started to jump up and down and say that Royal Purple sheared out of grade.

The owner of Bitog, 59Vetteman uses RP with excellent results.

Both RP and Redline are excellent oils. RP doesnt have to meet a price point and market its oil to appease Wally World bean counters. Mobil 1 used to be pretty good buts its slipping. Mobil 1 EP is still excellent. I would probably choose RP over the current M1.

Redline is excellent but if Advance Auto Parts drops them then I havent an idea where to buy it.

Happy Motoring All,

cool.gif

Bugshu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back