quicksilver 2-4-c with teflon

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda outboard manual suggests using quicksilver 2-4-c with teflon to grease the driveshaft spline when changing the waterpump. I assume this was because at the time Honda used a Mercury lower unit. If necessary I can go out and buy a tube of this grease but I already have a tube of a marine grease [I think Pennzoil] that I use for my trailer bearings, outboard motor grease fittings and front end on my Jeep. Since I will only use a teaspoon full to grease the shaft is the quicksilver grease really that much different than a good marine grease or should I add it to the supply closet just for that one purpose?

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

I would use the grease recommended by the manufacture for that application.

Ok I hear you but keep in mind that Quicksilver is Mercurys brand of grease and manufacturers have a way of reccomending their own products. Anyway, when I buy the quicksilver, do you think it is compatible with the other marine greases? Does the "teflon" in the name mean anything? If it is i may just convert everthing to quicksilver.

it only costs $5 for a small tube of the 2-4-c and other marine greases are cheap also. I wouldn't chance mixing unknown greases together.
Do you have any data on the 2-4-c? is it rated CC-LB?

my guess would be that there is something specific about the teflon grease that mercury likes for their lower units.

I may some day regret it but for the past 2 years I have used Mystic JT 6 for my mercury made lower unit. I just changed the impeller and it looked fine. Just because I do it does not mean I recommend you to do it. I use the Mystic on the wheel bearings and the grease points on the motor. My application is all fresh water.

The quicksilver stuff is good, but I have been using Pennzoil marine grease for a long time since the quicksilver is hard to find here. No problems here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back