What makes a good penetrating oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if any of the mixers on the board care to comment on what is the difference between a "penetrating" oil, and any other oil?

Very low vis high wetting start with a Mineral spirts base add
CA sulfonate and some fatty ester and alpha olepin or various amides
bruce

Originally Posted By: Shannow
water based, alcohol free, preferably without fragrances...

anim_devil.gif
anim_hail2.gif

Thanks for the info guys.

I really like the stuff you get from RLI. Also, cenex places sell a relabeled version that is the same stuff - I really like it.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Is there anything better than PB Blaster or Kroil?
21.gif

Used to read a lot about Kroil when Shooters online still existed.

Can't get it downunder.

One of my turbines is coming apart at present, and pressing pins out of blades and rotors is WAY easier than we've seen before. Asked the maintenance supervisor today what they were using, and it turns out to be Kroil.

They import it, just over $250 Aus per Gallon, but it seems to giterdun.

This is from an April post on penetrating oil. Note that acetone and ATF were the best.

"The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and tranny fluid!

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio)."

I am kinda surprised. I have tried WR and PBB and I have always seen PBB worked better at loosening frozen/rusted parts. WR never worked for me. And PBB saved my doorlocks and steering shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back