Bypass for Camry transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiousity what is available as far as a bypass setup on a later model camry (2006). Most of these probably wouldnt fit. Thanks

Already have one. I want something more robust than the magnefine. I have a hydraulic mount from Northerntool I might use if there is nothing in the realm of a bypass available.

Last edited:
Any bypass that you can fit will work. Just plumb it across the cooler circuit. When I say bypass, I mean something like a MG or BP80A mount with an EaBp on it.

I had a remote kit on my Tacoma between the two coolers. I ditched it after 4 years and settled for a magnafine.

On my F250 the trans has an external filtering unit. the element looks like a small toilet paper roll with the cardboard core drilled out. Pretty sure it's a OEM bypass filter setup. Every 15k it's black. You could easily buy that setup and make it work on almost any car.

You could use that hydraulic filter mount and a filter that fits it that is labeled for hydraulic usage in the big filter catalog...Wix, Baldwin, Napa, etc. Don't use just an engine oil filter. This would be a full flow filter on the cooler line.

When you refer to a bypass filter, that would take a very small amount of fluid from the hot side of the cooler line, pass it through an orifice to control flow, through a very dense bypass filter element, and back to the sump. You'll still need the majority of the flow through the cooler.

It's typically easier to just tap across the cooler line. 100% of the flow goes to post cooler lubrication and there's more than enough pressure differential across the cooler circuit to drive the bypass filter. You do, as you mentioned, need a dense media and a control orifice (which MG and the PB80A have).

Olympic (member) reduced his trans overhaul rate substantially in GM minivans installing (some number in the 'teens) the PB80A with an BP90 on his taxi fleet. He ran it as Ken2 describes by having a tee welded into the dipstick tube.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post605961

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I would change the oil on a regular schedual and call it a day . Most trans failures are from parts breaking.

Steve

You wouldn't happen to work for these guys, do you?

Inspiration and motivation at its best.
54.gif

LOL.gif
Thanks for all of the ideas thus far. Gary I like the idea of plumbing to the dipstick as well but seems like more of a pain since I dont have a welder at the moment. I took a closer look at the camry last night and discovered that there is no way im fitting both the hydraulic mount and the bypass on this cramped car. I will probably just stay with the magnefine and run the cheap amsoil mount w/ the bp90. It will also reduce the amount of hose running every which way.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: Steve S
I would change the oil on a regular schedual and call it a day . Most trans failures are from parts breaking.

Steve

You wouldn't happen to work for these guys, do you?

Inspiration and motivation at its best.
54.gif

I have been around enough transmissions to know .

Look up Olympic and see what bypass filtration did for him. He was someone who surely got around the trans shops and found a way to avoid them.

Just ordered the BP80A mount and the BP-90 spin on. Should be here in about five days or so. I plan on plumbing it across the cooler circuit as gary has recommended. THanks for all of the insight on this!

Just got the BP-90 in the mail today. HOLY [censored] this this is enormous!!! And this is the "baby" bypass!? Man I am going to have a fun time finding room for this thing. Im excited though. The mount was not in stock at the warehouse in Vegas so it will be a few more days. Gives me time to visit the hydraulic supply for some fittings.

Yes, they're bulkier than you think. This is smaller than the Motor Guard .. a little shorter than the Frantz.

All you can do is make one that is configured differently in how the dimensions play out. Like (I think) I suggested, the cotton wound canisters can be had in (something like) 11-12" X 4" cylinders
21.gif

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Just got the BP-90 in the mail today. HOLY [censored] this this is enormous!!! And this is the "baby" bypass!? Man I am going to have a fun time finding room for this thing. Im excited though. The mount was not in stock at the warehouse in Vegas so it will be a few more days. Gives me time to visit the hydraulic supply for some fittings.
Will it fit to the side below the battery by making up a mounting bracket out of 3 inch or so angle?

I was actually looking in that area the other night after the battery went TU on me! I think I can get it to fit but I will have to wait until I have the mount to fab something up. If not the radiator support would be option #2. I will let you guys know what I come up with.

Last edited:
Isn't there any place it can just lay ..out of the way of anything rotating/moving? If so, just use zip ties to hold it and the hoses fast to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back