First Impression of Mobil 0w-30 AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it was time for an OC, so I drove down to my local wally world and they were out of my PP, saw the mobil 1 AFE 0-30, it was only .74 cents more so I said what the [censored]. In poured the oil with a M1 filter from my stash. Crunk up like usual after the OC, sat over night and went to crank it up in the morning and seemed to start maybe a tad faster, BUT the big thing was the trucks always had a timing chain rattle for a sec when its sat for a little while and low and behold not a single ounce of noise from the motor! Smooth as silk, seems to rev a little bit more freely but im just excited over the timing chain rattle being gone. Ive let it sit time and time again and ever since the change its not made the noise once. BTW its an 07 Chevy Colorado w/ a 2.9 4banger and alot of those those trucks make the noise, dealer says its normal. Overall im statisfied with the oil! a+ now ill have to UOA to see how it does.......

you must be wrong... Everyone knows that m1 makes your engine louder...

Anyway, glad to hear the success story. Will you have data to comment on the mpg change, if any?

Yea I`m going to keep a log over the course of two months and see what i get, im guessing it will be fractional most likely.

im using m1 0w-20 in my 07 Mustang GT and m1 0w-30 in my 05 Explorer 4.0 and they are both smooth as silk and very quiet.

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
im using m1 0w-20 in my 07 Mustang GT and m1 0w-30 in my 05 Explorer 4.0 and they are both smooth as silk and very quiet.

It was a joke... years ago there were many arguments as folks claimed absolutely that M1 made their engines louder and it was the fault of the oil. Some believed it wholeheartedly, others did not believe anything of the sort...

It was just a lame attempt at a sarcastic comment :)

I had a reverse experience, changed M1 0W40 to PP 5W20 in '00 E430 make the engine much quieter at all RPM's from idle to 100+ MPH. I'm not sure changing 2 grade down making engine quieter or PP is the good match for MB engine.

My E430 had M1 0W40 for all its life from new, I only tried PP 5W20 because I bought it for less than $1/qt a while ago. It has Delo 15W40 the last 3k miles and engine noise is as loud as before using PP 5W20. I'll change to M1 0W20 (I bought on clearance for $2/qt) in about 2 months, I'll see if engine noise is as low as PP at that time.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It was a joke... years ago there were many arguments as folks claimed absolutely that M1 made their engines louder and it was the fault of the oil. Some believed it wholeheartedly, others did not believe anything of the sort...

It's not just years ago. I drained Mobil 1 5W-20 out of our minivan after only 2,000 miles because a lifter tick (or something that sounded like it) developed while that oil was in it. To be fair, I don't know if it was the oil or the filter (also a M1 filter). I've since used PP 5W-20 and a PureOne and the engine is back to being quiet again. Oil or filter, I don't know.

True, I could have brought the van to Chrysler and had them tear the engine down (or tell me that it was "normal"), but I really didn't think it was worth that for a brand of oil. Since the engine quieted back down with a different brand, I'm happy with it.

Mobil 1 works with millions of engines out there, but for some reason, it didn't work well with mine. I have no heartburn over it, I just use a different brand. It's all good.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
you must be wrong... Everyone knows that m1 makes your engine louder...

LOL.gif

Yeah I never understood that one.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
The fact is M1 is usually "thin" in it's grade.

54.gif

Most M1 30 grade products are above the 10.895 CST mean for the grade. Most appear to be 11+.

What do you mean by "thin" ..or which one product are you referring to? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I had a reverse experience, changed M1 0W40 to PP 5W20 in '00 E430 make the engine much quieter at all RPM's from idle to 100+ MPH. I'm not sure changing 2 grade down making engine quieter or PP is the good match for MB engine.

My E430 had M1 0W40 for all its life from new, I only tried PP 5W20 because I bought it for less than $1/qt a while ago. It has Delo 15W40 the last 3k miles and engine noise is as loud as before using PP 5W20. I'll change to M1 0W20 (I bought on clearance for $2/qt) in about 2 months, I'll see if engine noise is as low as PP at that time.

interesting..do you have oil temp or oil pressure gauge in that car?
I would think 20wt might be to thin for German car..

Last edited:
No, it doesn't have either oil temp or oil pressure gauge.

Usually it took 6-7 minutes or 3-3.5 miles of city driving for coolant to reach operating temperature of about 185F with M1 0W40 in summer, with PP 0W20 the coolant went up to 185F in only 4-5 minutes or 2-2.5 miles of city driving. Gas mileage improved about 3-5% for the same average speed of 27MPH which is mostly city driving. The car has trip computer and the MPG is accumulated over several thousand miles for PP and tens of thousand miles with M1.

MBUSA recommends thick synthetic oil with ACEA A3/B3 for this model year, one way to verify that thinner syntetic oil can be used safely in this car is to do an UOA when I finished the next oil change with M1 0W20.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
2.9 4 cyl? That's a BIG 4!
Yea its pretty massive for a 4cyl but does its job well, 180hp, no too shabby, and its only a single cab truck, even tows descent!

Originally Posted By: SRBowen87
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
2.9 4 cyl? That's a BIG 4!
Yea its pretty massive for a 4cyl but does its job well, 180hp, no too shabby, and its only a single cab truck, even tows descent!
Earlier Chevy Colorado trucks had a 2.7L 4 cylinder, but I guess people needed more than that.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: FZ1
The fact is M1 is usually "thin" in it's grade.

54.gif

Most M1 30 grade products are above the 10.895 CST mean for the grade. Most appear to be 11+.

Mobil 1 10W-30's cSt is 10.0...just barely a 30W. Their 5W-30 is actually a "thicker" 30W than the 10W-30 is (11.3 vs. 10.0).

Mobil 1's 0W-30 AFE's cSt is actually 11.0 at operating temp. The standard 10W-30 actually offers thinner viscosity (and in theory, better economy) compared with the AFE 0W-30.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
No, it doesn't have either oil temp or oil pressure gauge.

Usually it took 6-7 minutes or 3-3.5 miles of city driving for coolant to reach operating temperature of about 185F with M1 0W40 in summer, with PP 0W20 the coolant went up to 185F in only 4-5 minutes or 2-2.5 miles of city driving. Gas mileage improved about 3-5% for the same average speed of 27MPH which is mostly city driving. The car has trip computer and the MPG is accumulated over several thousand miles for PP and tens of thousand miles with M1.

MBUSA recommends thick synthetic oil with ACEA A3/B3 for this model year, one way to verify that thinner syntetic oil can be used safely in this car is to do an UOA when I finished the next oil change with M1 0W20.

interesting that coolant got up to the temperature faster with thinner oil..IMO that would be counter intuitive since thinner oil is less viscous therefore less pumping loses and less friction...so not quite sure what would make car warm up faster?

I checked out the "new" M1 0W-30 AFE for an alternative to the M1 0W-40 I've been using since day one in our '04 SAAB. However, according to the Mobil web site, the former oil is only an A1/B1 oil, while the 0W-40 is A3, B3/B4, and the SAAB's engine has the reputation for being a notorious "sludge monster" unless the correct oil /interval is followed. So- I guess I'm sticking to the more expensive 0W-40, at least for now. I wish it were otherwise, since the 0W-30 in the 5-quart jug is significantly cheaper.

The 0w-30 is ok in the Saab as far as sludge. It is curious that there is no A5 rating (same as A3 in performance, but lower visc)If you have an oil temp gauge, just monitor it to stay below +220f and you are fine with the 0w-30. There are other oils for higher temp operation, but in winter 0w-30 should do well.

As far as starting visc vs 10w-30 etc, oils that start higher are ones that also shear. That is taken into account inthe final blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back