75w90 GL-4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know any places that carry this? walmart, auto zone, advance, O'reilly and pep boys all said no! Napa,carquest and the dealers are closed today and I need asap!
Has to be GL-4 ONLY for a toyota manual tranny.

You won't find 75w-90 GL-4 on the shelf at a parts store. Like cos mentioned, Redline and Amsoil are about the only companies that make a true GL-4 manual transmission lubricant.

However, most all Toyotas spec GL-4 OR GL-5. I run Valvoline 75w-90 GL-5 in my 94 Corolla and it works great.

Last edited:
Quote:

today and I need asap!

Perhaps he has drained out the previous fill and doesn't have a replacement.

This is one decision I would make on quality, not expediency.

I don't remember what the weight was, but I bought some StaLube GL-4 gear oil at Napa a few years ago for a 280zx transmission. I think they still have it on the shelves at my local store. I know you said that won't do because they aren't open, but when I went to the bigger chain stores (Kragen, Autozone) the guys there didn't even seem to know what I was talking about, and they certainly didn't stock any.

Originally Posted By: rationull
I don't remember what the weight was, but I bought some StaLube GL-4 gear oil at Napa a few years ago for a 280zx transmission. I think they still have it on the shelves at my local store. I know you said that won't do because they aren't open, but when I went to the bigger chain stores (Kragen, Autozone) the guys there didn't even seem to know what I was talking about, and they certainly didn't stock any.

Yep,I totally hear ya! When I was on the prowl for a GL4 manual tranny oi,all of the auto parts stores acted like I was speaking some foreign language or something.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
What part of Indiana are you in? What is your zip code?

Indianapolis 46201

Nope, Nobody around here sells redline or amsoil either.
I seen that penzoil makes a gl-4 but can't find any,guess I'll have to wait till monday for napa or the stealership!

Thanks guys!

one of the board sponsors will gladly ship some to you. It doesn't get any more local then your computer and your doorstep. It's not like changing transmission oil is an emergency and you need it right now.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
one of the board sponsors will gladly ship some to you. It doesn't get any more local then your computer and your doorstep. It's not like changing transmission oil is an emergency and you need it right now.

^^ What he said
11.gif

ditto the kudos on Amsoil 75-90 Severe Gear formula. I changed out the original rear end oil in 95 Corvette-couldn't be happier with the noise reduction.

Amsoil SVG is GL5. I tried it in my tranny and it sucked. MTG or Redline MT90 (better of the two for my apps) is a better choice.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
You won't find 75w-90 GL-4 on the shelf at a parts store. Like cos mentioned, Redline and Amsoil are about the only companies that make a true GL-4 manual transmission lubricant.

However, most all Toyotas spec GL-4 OR GL-5. I run Valvoline 75w-90 GL-5 in my 94 Corolla and it works great.

You will have more synchronizer wear with GL-5, but it will "work".

So I went with the red line mt90 for now. What do you guys think about mt90 versus amsoil gl-4 manual tranny and t-case lube?

Castrol Syntorq, available either thru some tranny shops online or at Dodge dealers as a fLuid for some of the pickup trannys or at GM dealers. Syntorq is something like a 75w85, full synthetic, a GL4, evidently primarily sold by Castrol as an OEM product in the US, is good stuff, but can be expensive depending upon where you buy it. Do not confuse with some other similar sounding Castrol product like Syntec or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back