Furnace filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many washable filters are ineffective at capturing small particles and allergens, according to research done by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the American Lung Association.

I inquired about washable filters and after much research on them, the general consensus was they are not worth the additional expense.

I'd go with the 3M Filtrete electro-statically charged disposable filters. From what I was reading awhile back, they were the best combination of cleaning effectiveness and price.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
I assume this isn't a HEPA unit installed inline anywhere is it?

No hepa unit just an intake in the ceiling.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Many washable filters are ineffective at capturing small particles and allergens, according to research done by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the American Lung Association.

I inquired about washable filters and after much research on them, the general consensus was they are not worth the additional expense.

I'd go with the 3M Filtrete electro-statically charged disposable filters. From what I was reading awhile back, they were the best combination of cleaning effectiveness and price.

Thanks for the imput.

I had one of those 3M filters on my furnace and the limiter went out. The repairman told me not to use that filter because it's too restrictive. He said he couldn't prove it, but he thought that was the cause of the break down.

My HVAC guy advised me to not use the 3M pleated type filters as well, also said they were too restrictive. He told me to use the cheap blue ones..

I have a washable filter that came with my thermopride; sad to say, when i pulled it out to clean it, it seems its only function is to catch dust bunnies; the concept of "air filter" is quite a misnomer.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
My HVAC guy advised me to not use the 3M pleated type filters as well, also said they were too restrictive. He told me to use the cheap blue ones..

I wouldn't doubt that the pleat might be too restrictive, but just passing along what the so called "experts" said on these.

You should have seen some of the articles and tests done on most of the furnace filters out there. Many of them allow 80 to 90% of debris to pass through them, only catching the "big" stuff.

Me, I am a cheap skate and thusly I use the 3M Filtrete non-pleated model. It costs 4.29 at Wal Mart and it claims it is good for 90 days.

My HVAC guy told me that you are better off not changing furnace filters too often. According to him, you need some dirt in there to aid with filtering smaller particles.

I have one "whole house" filter. It is 20" x 25" and is 5" thick. Only needs to be changed once a year, and they cost $20 each.

It sits in a cabinet right about my furnace. I've been very pleased with it. The A-coil under my furnace is as clean as the day it was installed. That was 12 years ago.

229990-101%20AirBearCub.jpg

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I have one "whole house" filter. It is 20" x 25" and is 5" thick. Only needs to be changed once a year, and they cost $20 each.

It sits in a cabinet right about my furnace. I've been very pleased with it. The A-coil under my furnace is as clean as the day it was installed. That was 12 years ago.

Good gawd, that thing is a man's filter. 5" thick! Love it.
thumbsup2.gif

for regular filters the best is to use regular $4 pleated filters. the standard washable are little more then a screen and not better then the typical $.99 glass type.
Glass type should be changed every month, pleated every 3 months unless you have dust problems.
not changing your filter often is a great way to make sure the furnace guy makes regular calls.

Hold one of those cheap blue filters horizontally and pour some sand on top. You'll see how effective (or ineffective) they really are.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
for regular filters the best is to use regular $4 pleated filters. the standard washable are little more then a screen and not better then the typical $.99 glass type.
Glass type should be changed every month, pleated every 3 months unless you have dust problems.
not changing your filter often is a great way to make sure the furnace guy makes regular calls.

Well said Tom S. I am using a 4 dollar 3M Filtrete replaced every 90 days.

This might be a dumb hypothetical here, but suppose someone somehow cut and pasted several high quality automotive air filters and slipped them into the furnace. I wonder what the results would be?

3M did a wonderful job of [censored]'ing the public on their filters, in order to stop the amount of dirt they claim to stop, they ignored the most basic duct design critia.

all hvac systems since the mid 1950's have been designed with an industry standard of air flow, meaning i can install a Carrier furnace in your house today, and 20 years from now i can put in the latest Lennox without redoing your whole duct system in your home.

3M has ignored this standard and continues to do so.

by using restrictive air filters, or a dirty air filter, your blower motor draws more amps to do the same job, the heat exchanger expands and contracts outside normal tollerences, shorting the life of those items.

if your cycles on its limit control you may not even know its doing that, meaning that the gas valve and the ignition system is being cycled more often then intended, wearing them out prematurely.

if you require a good furnace filter, there are many types, electronic air cleaners by honeywell, media style filters by space guard or general.

and lastly a good washable one Dust fighter 95.

feel free to pm me if you have any furnace questions.

You cannot get your air ducts totally clean as dust and contaminants get in in from both ends of the system.
A filter keeps contaminants from entering the system,but what is already in the system is still going to be present.
Just remove a heating opening and do an inspection with a flash light.
Buy the standard cut to size filters at home depot/lowes etc,the same ones that come with new furnaces,not the paper type.

They should be under $10.

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=af-wf

This might be a dumb hypothetical here, but suppose someone somehow cut and pasted several high quality automotive air filters and slipped them into the furnace. I wonder what the results would be?

If they were slipped *into* the furnace, they might catch fire and burn.
shocked2.gif

Automotive media would be too restrictive. An engine requires much less air than a furnace. The air flow from the furnace wouldn't be sufficient to heat or cool the building.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Good gawd, that thing is a man's filter. 5" thick! Love it.
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, it is. The HVAC installer recommended it, and I'm glad I had it installed. Filters down to one micron.

For more info:
http://www.trioninc.com/pdfs/residential/AirBearSupreme/Air_Bear_Supreme_Spec_12_07.pdf

Originally Posted By: Scott P

Hold one of those cheap blue filters horizontally and pour some sand on top. You'll see how effective (or ineffective) they really are.

I know they provide next to nothing in terms of filtration, but after having the HVAC guy out three summers in a row for a frozen heat pump I took his advice and switched from the $17 3M to the cheap filter and he has not been back..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back