Motors that keep going and going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small Block Chevy (Gen I).
I've got 298,000 on mine. Doesn't burn a drop.
I've got JAX 5W-30 in it right now.

From my experience:

Toyota 1.6 4AFE. I drove it to 135k miles, sold it to a buddy who drove it to 250k.

Mazda 1.6 SOHC (323). Abused the heck out of one - poor maintenance, high-revving, etc...it ran like a top, burned next to no oil.

Chevrolet 2.2 OHV. What I have now, only 110k miles, but runs great, uses next to no oil...

From the 'family archives':

Ford 289 V-8. Dad drove one to about 150k miles in the 1970's in Canada. Body rusted out long before engine had any problems...

Originally Posted By: parimento1
Toyota 1MZ-FE (If you change the oil)
Ford 3.0L Vulcan
Ford 5.0L OHV
GM 3.8L

My dad has a 1MZ-FE in a 96 Avalon that has over 250k on it, still running good. He drives alot of miles every day, but I still worry about sludge even though its not my car
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
225 CI Slant6, 4.0 Jeep, Red Block Volvo I4. These engines will do 300,000 with reasonable care. I notice all of them are iron block & heads. I'm not aware of any AL engines that routinely go for 300,000 miles in normal driving.

There have been a lot of well-designed engines that will last next to forever. Honda has had a series of great 4 bangers that have been well known for going 200K+ and not burning any oil. Every Honda 4 banger built after '89 has been an aluminum block and head.

Clark

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I was not refering to short lived 200 or 250,000 mile engines but, 300,000 + engines-some going out to 400,000 miles.

Then you can put the subaru ea81 and ej22 motors in the long lived category. Aluminum, bulletproof motors. The ea82 will last forever too, but has a poor timing belt design and tends to leak oil everywhere..

If you take care of the timing belt and valve clearances and don't dog on them and wear out the seals, the Honda B18 and B20 engines should last a heck of a long time. I know a few of them with well over 300,000 miles and showing no signs of slowing down, I even know of one with over 600,000 miles on it that I posted on this forum before.

GM 5.7 Diesel of the 80's
Cadillac V8-6-4 and HT4100 of the 80's

JUST KIDDING!!!!

My votes go for: (just based on experiences!)

Chevy 350 - old and GEN 1,2,3
Jeep 258 (4.2)
Jeep 4.0
GM 3.8 (incl turbo 86/87)
GM 4.3V6
Ford 300 staight 6
Ford 302

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
If you take care of the timing belt and valve clearances and don't dog on them and wear out the seals, the Honda B18 and B20 engines should last a heck of a long time. I know a few of them with well over 300,000 miles and showing no signs of slowing down, I even know of one with over 600,000 miles on it that I posted on this forum before.

B20 is not reliable, it is a B18 bored to 2.0L without much structural enhancement.

350 Chevy small block gets my vote. The only three vehicles I have ever personally seen with more than 400 K miles have all been powered by 350 Chevs.

Of the vehicles I have owned, a 350 TBI Chev, 302 MPFI Ford and a 305-4BBL Chev hold my high mileage records.

Last edited:
How do the newer Volvo engines hold up like the 2.5T? I seem to recall lotsof Volvos with 300,000+ miles on them and still running.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

B20 is not reliable, it is a B18 bored to 2.0L without much structural enhancement.

I still see plenty of them with over 200,000 miles, I'd say they're reliable still. Maybe the B18 more-so...

Originally Posted By: c3po
I have been driving a 305 Chevrolet Small Block sice 1987 that has 364,000 miles, I have not driven anything else.

I had a 1988 Caprice wagon with 135k on it when we donated it in perfect running order. Goodwill actually called us back saying they appreciated a car that everything worked on about 6 months later. GM doesn't make them like that anymore unfortunately.

Ford 4.6L F150 engine (it has full floating piston pins that the other versions don't).

Delivery vans here have seen 900K with M1 and the 4.6.

Mine has 200K and consumes no oil between changes. It runs perfectly. Best engine I have ever owned.

The 4.6 is tough. A friend of mine has a 1998 F-150 4.6 with about 110K miles on it. The truck gets very little maintenance...my friend will drive it 8-9K miles on dino oil without a second thought. The truck gets no other maintenance. The check engine light has been on for probably 20K miles for a lean condition too...I believe it is something to do with a leak in the PCV valve hose that's common on these trucks. It keeps going though. It actually runs great to be honest. I have driven it a couple of times and it has all the power you would expect from a '98 4.6 and it runs smoothly.

Toyota 4.0L V8 1UZFE in first generation Lexus LS400 is very reliable. The gas mileage isn't good but it keeps going with very little maintenance, 12k/12mo OCI's with 5W30 synthetic and after 200k miles still running strong. The only engine maintenance was spark plugs changed at 120k miles, still has original plug wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back