Honda 5-20 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read numerous threads concerning this topic and I'm still confused. When it comes to dino oil, why are Honda owners not using Honda (exxon) motor oil. Is this based on technical information or just a personal preference?

Thanks for your input,

Matt

If you're referring to the oil available at the dealer (Honda-branded), it's costs too much. The same Exxon 5w-20 (Superflo) can be had from any parts store for substantially less $$. Plus, dealer oils don't offer the same amount of choices the market offers.

Mobil offers an outstanding synthetic in their 0w-20/5w-20. Pennzoil and Havoline's 5w-20's are top-notch and available at many places. Why use the dealer oils when there are better alternatives?

Back in 2003, we bought a Honda that requires 5W20 motor oil. We go to the dealership for oil changes because they are very close by. At this dealership, they offer the customer the choice of the full line of Castrol oils.

We are using the Castrol GTX.

Honda owners, at some dealerships, may have no choice but to use the Honda (Exxon) oil, but choose not to pay the dealership prices.

Our dealership charges about $30.00 for the typical 3,000 mile oil change service.

You might ask why so few Honda dealers use "Honda" oil in their service shops. The dealer nearest us installs Pennzoil. They will sell you "Honda" 5W-20 over the counter for some silly price ... but it is cheaper to buy it in the pretty red Exxon Superflo bottle for around $1.50/quart or less on sale.

For the record, I have run the Superflo for several intervals but did not pull UOAs on them. Next up will be some Mobil-1 0W-20 that I got for free when Autozone was getting rid of the stuff.

John

As you look through the UOAs, you'll see that Honda engines do well on many oils, good dinos, dino blends, and synthetics. The Exxon Supeflo/Honda oil is just one of many showing good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back