what car is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my grandparents' photo files I ran into my Dad and some lousy station wagon, probably a Ford... need more info. That taillight treatment.... gack!

wagon.jpg

Yeah, I would have said it was a early/mid 1970's Ford 'Custom 500' wagon....one fo the lower trim lines, w/o wood panelling et al....

Originally Posted By: hate2work
How old was your dad when this picture was taken? That should give you a clue about the age of the car.

If Father is anythang like Son, then that picture was probably taken recently. The old man quite possibly got the wagon for $50 bucks last weekend. That suit was in the back seat.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work
How old was your dad when this picture was taken? That should give you a clue about the age of the car.

My Dad's good looks are timeless, so I was hoping to date the pic from the car he had.

Grandpa's company leased new Fords for ~2 years then passed them down to my Dad. It was a culture/price shock when he retired and had to own & maintain his own vehicles.

The 3.5" square instamatic print didn't scan well, has that textured playing card surface, but the bumper looks like rust is starting to poke through the chrome, which is peeling yet tenasciously hanging on.

The Massachusetts plate I fuzzed out was their old red on white that they got rid of in 1981 or so.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah

If Father is anythang like Son, then that picture was probably taken recently. The old man quite possibly got the wagon for $50 bucks last weekend. That suit was in the back seat.
LOL.gif

LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif

From the clothing and hair style I'm guessing '72-'77, which prolly is not as close as you would like. The tailgate looks like it is well-rusted - how good are you at rust dating for your area?

Cars were such junk back then I could see rust like that happening within ~6 years or so.

The picture I present y'all is cropped, there are uncles and girlfriends/wives also present, if I had to have a definitive date. Am mostly trying to figure out what junk my Dad kept in his fleet, he doesn't talk much about that era. Neither myself nor my eldest cousin are in the pic, so we're either off camera (A pic of "the boys") or it's before 1975.

He did have 67 and 69 Mustang convertibles, the carburetor on the 69 mustang had a really stiff spring for some reason so the gas pedal was real hard to push down, my Mom hated driving that. Nevertheless, those cars did not make him any cooler.

He drove used Ford wagons through the 70's then bought a new Fairmont in 1980... Factory ordered with the inline 6 and 4 speed manual transmission... never another like it, I'm sure.

We had a 70 (0r 71) Ford station wagon when I grew up. The tail gate would often fly open while driving. My Dad would then slam the brakes to get it closed again:)

More than likely, nix on the 429.

One of those ford wagons ran over a brake shoe that fell off an 18 wheeler, it punctured the tranny pan, they took it to a truck stop where they welded the pan and the car just kept on going.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back