Mobil 1 ATF?, Dexron VI? What's Superior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets get to the bottom line. In an application which would normally call for Dexron III ATF, what is considered the prefered ATF - and why? The Mobil 1 folks say Mobil 1, but my gut says Dexron VI - since it is the most recent specification. (You can throw in Red Line or Amsoil ATF to muddy up the discussion).

what vehicle?
Do you have a GM vehicle?
I like Mobil 1, but for a GM...
straight from Mobil 1 web page:
Also suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following fluid requirements:

* Audi G 052 025-A2, G 052 162-A1
* BMW LA2634
* Esso LT 71141
* ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, N402
* Ford* MERCON*, MERCON V, MERCON LV
* All 2005 and earlier GM vehicles**

** Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006 and newer GM vehicles and improved performance in 2005 and earlier vehicles, wherever DEXRON is specified.

If it calls for Dexron III, the best is Amsoil ATF. I have also used:

1) Mobil 1 ATF
2) Redline D4
3) Castrol Syntec

My Turbo 350 is speced for Dexron III, and I have used mineral Dexron III, the transmission seems to like Amsoil ATF the best.

I once read a post where a guy who used Amsoil ATF since 1980, on many of his vehicles, never had too:

1) Rebuild
2) Repair
3) Replace

That shows you that it is a great ATF.

I've only been using it for 20,000 miles so far but it shifts more smoothly than it did when it was 100% Honda Z-1. I've done 4-5 Drain/Refills so far with Amsoil ATF and I love it.
thumbsup2.gif

Not a GM vehicle, LOL! It would be going in a restored, '94, 3 wheeled, Cushman Police Truckster. This onroad vehicle is a former NYPD "meter maid" parking enforcement vehicle. Packing all of 27 HP, with its 3 cylinder, liquid cooled, Diahatsu engine. Technically classified as a motorcycle, with a top speed of 40 mph (with governor), 60+ with governor removed - it is basically a glorified golf cart.

You will think that I am crazy for putting this high end ATF in this application. But I have my reasons. Just 5% of these Cushmans had 3 speed automatic transmissions - and that is what I have. Also, transmission parts from the Asian manufacturer are no longer obtainable - so I have to "pamper & nurse" this one. Some of the 3 speed manual tranmission (golf course and farm Cushmans versions) got up to 80K on them before they were junked. I am at 14K now, so I plan on many future miles.

I am a bit surprised at the Amsoil ATF following and positive responses. What is so different or special about it? (I have Mobil 1 ATF in it now). Isn't Dexron VI an upgrade over them both?

There has been lots of discussion in other threads about which is better and which one to use in this or that application. In your Cushman 3 speed I think that any of the above would be just fine. I do lean towards the Amsoil ATF because i have used so much of it over the years and in so many applications, and it has yet to disappoint. I have also used a lot of Mobil 1, and it is very good as well. I would really save the Dex VI for those 2006 and newer GM's under warranty.

Your choice of fluid is just one thing. How well are you going to keep it cool and filtered clean? These 2 other factors can extend the life of your trans and fluid as much or more than simply the choice of which fluid. I would look into upgrading the cooling and filtration of the ATF as a very worthwhile investment if you wanna keep that Cushman going a long, long time.

Dex VI is not an upgrade in overall quality over these 2 ATF's, IMO. When Wal-Mart can carry a Dex VI rated fluid for 3.77 a quart, which do you think is going to have the better components in the fluid?

All of Red Lines ATF's are of the highest quality. I have used D4 for years in both chevrolet work tucks and toyotas with zero failures and improved shifting. Red Line D4 is the only ATF that I like in my Turbo charged SS camaro after using many. I have heard Amsoil is good as well. I think you would find it hard to tell many differences between these top of the line ATF's especially in a street application.

One thing I do not like about Amsoil in ATF is the "one size fits all". Yeah its good, thats great and fine but there is no way it will simply outperform every single spec it claims to cover with the same performance. Sorry not buying that.

I concur w/ bmwtech on the mobil1 and amsoil choice above the dex VI. The Dex VI even on the Mobil website is a blend where I do trust that the Mobil 1 is still a fully syn product as well as being a little heavier which is what your Cushman tranny is likely used to.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79

One thing I do not like about Amsoil in ATF is the "one size fits all". Yeah its good, thats great and fine but there is no way it will simply outperform every single spec it claims to cover with the same performance. Sorry not buying that.

Well, the gentleman in charge of driveline fluids at Lubrizol told us that AMSOIL ATF is an excellent fluid for all the recommended (at least as of last July) ATFs except Ford Type F and any of the CVT specific trannies.

Thats great. It may very well be a "excellent" fluid for alot of specs, but there is no way in [censored] it is the most suitable for every one of the applications it lists. Again, great fluid no doubt. I prefer Redline and like that they offer fluids for specific applications.

Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church
AzFireGuy79 said:
Well, the gentleman in charge of driveline fluids at Lubrizol told us that AMSOIL ATF is an excellent fluid for all the recommended (at least as of last July) ATFs except Ford Type F and any of the CVT specific trannies.

I wonder if that's because Lubrizol don't have a DEXRON-VI approved additive system ? Hmmmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back