SI-1 setting off 'Check Engine' light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need your guys' thoughts on my car problem:

I added a bottle of Redline SI-1 to my Ford Focus (Zetec 2.0 liter) about a month ago. I haven't driven a lot of miles on the car since then, but have gone through maybe 1-1&1/2 tanks of gas. Last week, my "CHECK ENGINE" light came on for three days, then went out. I took the car to the shop, and they were able to pull the stored code, which reportedly showed something about a lean condition. They said that since the light went out, not to worry about it at the time. Well, I picked the car up last night, and by the time I got home, the light was back on. Brought the car back to the shop today, they scanned it again, and this time got different fault codes. These codes were still related to rich/lean conditions, but the tech told me they were different from the first code he pulled. He checked for vacuum leaks right then, but couldn't find any. At this time, he's not sure what is causing the problems, stating it may or may not be a bad O2 sensor. He went ahead and cleared the fault codes to see if the light comes back, matching either the first or second set of codes.

The only thing I've done recently to the Focus is add the SI-1. Do you think it may have somehow screwed with the engine? Could it be a bad tank of gas? Up until now, I've never had a problem with the car. In the meantime, I'm just stuck waiting for the light to come back on, hoping I'm not doing any damage to the engine. I haven't noticed any drop/change in performance or mpg's, but the tech said that he thought the accelerator felt a little sluggish.

Originally Posted By: ZiTS
Need your guys' thoughts on my car problem:

I added a bottle of Redline SI-1 to my Ford Focus (Zetec 2.0 liter) about a month ago. I haven't driven a lot of miles on the car since then, but have gone through maybe 1-1&1/2 tanks of gas. Last week, my "CHECK ENGINE" light came on for three days, then went out. I took the car to the shop, and they were able to pull the stored code, which reportedly showed something about a lean condition. They said that since the light went out, not to worry about it at the time. Well, I picked the car up last night, and by the time I got home, the light was back on. Brought the car back to the shop today, they scanned it again, and this time got different fault codes. These codes were still related to rich/lean conditions, but the tech told me they were different from the first code he pulled. He checked for vacuum leaks right then, but couldn't find any. At this time, he's not sure what is causing the problems, stating it may or may not be a bad O2 sensor. He went ahead and cleared the fault codes to see if the light comes back, matching either the first or second set of codes.

The only thing I've done recently to the Focus is add the SI-1. Do you think it may have somehow screwed with the engine? Could it be a bad tank of gas? Up until now, I've never had a problem with the car. In the meantime, I'm just stuck waiting for the light to come back on, hoping I'm not doing any damage to the engine. I haven't noticed any drop/change in performance or mpg's, but the tech said that he thought the accelerator felt a little sluggish.

Yeah, it's probably the SI-1 doing that. You should quit using it pronto and if you have any left over, I'll send you a couple of bucks per bottle to take it off your hands. PM me if interested.

It's a 2003 ZTS sedan with just a tick over 35,000 miles.

Over the summer (let's say June to August) I changed the fuel filter, PCV valve, spark plugs/wires, and cat-back exhaust. All fluids were flushed and re-filled. An Amsoil air filter was installed. Car has never had any engine problems before this.

Over the summer (let's say June to August) I changed the fuel filter, PCV valve, spark plugs/wires, and cat-back exhaust. All fluids were flushed and re-filled. An Amsoil air filter was installed. Car has never had any engine problems before this.

Well it is a 6 year old Ford, bound to have problems sooner or later

Yeah, I'm well aware of that. I also know that cars (even Fords) can and do sometimes have problems....

The point for my asking the question was because I've never used SI-1 before, and believe it has a much different chemistry than most off-the-shelf fuel additives. I was wondering if that may be what is causing the fault codes to be changing when the C.E. light comes on.

Thanks for your input though....

Originally Posted By: qship1996

Well it is a 6 year old Ford, bound to have problems sooner or later

There's no bias in that post, is there? Gee whiz.
smirk2.gif

I've used the entire bottle of this stuff in a Honda with an 11.9 gallon gas tank and nothing happened.

Maybe your emission system is very sensitive to any concentrated fuel system cleaners ?
21.gif

I bet it may have skewed an upstream 02 sensor reading. I'd make a mental note of the CEL and continue to monitor but I would not escalate the issue in the meantime.

I got a catalyst efficiency CEL several times when I overdosed my Crown Vic on fuel injector cleaner.

I think if I were you I'd cut back on the quantity used at a time.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I got a catalyst efficiency CEL several times when I overdosed my Crown Vic on fuel injector cleaner.

I think if I were you I'd cut back on the quantity used at a time.

+1
just refuel your tank until full again to dilute the SI-1

Modern Ford 02 sensors are fairly picky in most cases. Just running a bottle of Techron will set my CEL on until well into another tank of gas. The ONLY fuel additive I can add to my Crown Vic is MMO. Run that tank low and it should go away about halfway into your next tank.

I have been using this product for a long time and have never had an issue. I think diluting it would be an interesting experiment to see if it subsides. If not try something else. Although alot of these fuel system cleaners have similar chemistry so this might occur with products like chevron,Amsoil... Good luck

Well, since I made this post, my CEL came back on one more time. It was on for about a day, then went out on its' own. I've changed my oil, and gone through about two more tanks of gas, and the light hasn't come back on yet. I believe at this time that the entire bottle of SI-1 was just too much for my little Zetec 4-banger, and it's finally worked itself out of the system.

Z-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back