The GM 2.0, 2.2
Plymouth slant 6
Mopar 318, 383, 440
Ford 289, 4.6 SOHC, 200 and 250 straight six
Saturn 1.8 DOHC and SOHC
Toronado 425 and Cadillac 425

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Nissan VQ's....

I agree! Especially on the VQ30 as the VQ35 had some consumption problems.

Saturn S series engines are also strong except for oil consumption.

Saturn 1.9L SOHC and DOHC

A large number of members have original engines with 300k+ miles on them, with one guy that has over 500k over at saturnfans.com

Granted, you have to keep pouring in that oil because they eat it up! Sadly, many of these engines meet early demises from people not checking their oil.

Chevy Vortec 2.2L in the 4 banger Chevy S10s. I know people who used them for work trucks to tow/haul way more than they should have. Some of these things have 300k+ miles on them in some of the roughest terrain.

Another one that comes to mind is those Vtecs in the old Civic Hatchbacks. Just watch the ricers who drive them....they don't die.

Oh yea, those 4.9L Inline 6 ford engines from the 1992-97 F250s. Those things belong in tanks. Ford originally made them for tractors.

Last edited:
I have been driving a 305 Chevrolet Small Block sice 1987 that has 364,000 miles, I have not driven anything else.

My son's 9 F150 with a 4.9L I6 with about 140k miles got 18 mpg mixed city driving on the last tank, uses less than 1/2 qt of oil every 5k miles, and did very well on the recent emissions test. The 99 Taurus with a 3.0 V6 and about 140k miles is also doing well, better than the 93 Taurus with a 3.0 V6 did at the same mileage. I expect 500k out of the Cummins in the Dodge.

Ford 4.9L I6
Ford 4.6L V8
Ford 5.4L V8
Ford 5.0L HO ( have owned three with in excess of 300,000Km on them with the living [censored] beaten out of them and they LOVE it)
Dodge 318 V8
Chevy 350 V8
Chevy 305 V8
Ford 2.3L I4
Ford 3.0L Vulcan
Ford 460 V8
Saturn 1.9L SOHC
Ford/International DT444 (Ford 7.3L Powerstroke)
Dodge/Cummins 5.9L ISB.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Duratec's or anything designed by Mazda

Even the Rotary?!?!?!
18.gif

lol

Ford's SOHC 4.6 is an absolute TANK. My brother ran the dog do-do out of one for 5 years and 145,000 miles in a 1998 F150. He destroyed the transmission after 120,000 but that ol' 4.6 still ran GREAT and used ZERO oil.

I hope to drive my Vulcan powered Taurus to at least 150,000. (knocks on wood, lol.)

Also, the LSx based engines. I have a buddy with a 1998 TA M6 and he drives the [censored] out of that car and has ran numerous bottles of nitrous through it at the track, still his daily driver with 135,000 on the clock.

Last edited:
just about any domestic engine. the SB chevy was always a great motor, even when it was choked in the mid '70's. they still ran great, even when neglected, easy to work on, will run w/ 1/2 its plugs fouled and its oil galleys plugged. great stuff.

I have to add, I disagree w/ the mazda fans. now, I DO like mazdas (on my 4th one), but I don't think they make the best engines. the 2.5 V6 in my '94 626's were ridiculous; only 162hp IIRC, 25mpg hwy (maybe) and req premium fuel! leaky valve cover gaskets less than 60K. I did like them, but I would do a 4cyl next time.
the 3.0 in my MPV is not too bad, but they have O-rings all over the place that you WILL learn to replace-often. known lifter problems, and of course, underpowered.
don't even get me started on the rotary...
I have to disagree on the saturn comment also. the SOHC 1.9 has known head cracking issues, besides the oil consumption problem. yes, it has a chain, but they WILL fail when the oil is neglected.
the DOHC 1.9 only has the oil problem, the head is reliable. simple ignition, easy to work on also.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
+1 Toyota 22R or RE

As long as the timing chain aint slappin' it'll keep on running forever.

+1, Don't know how many of those I have seen on the used market with 275K and up. One of the most durable engines ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back