Oil options for Suzuki GS 1100E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for the best oil options for my new hot rod. The bike is a 1982 GS1100E. The prev owner just did an oil change with Valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle specific dino oil. I have never had a bike with an inline 4 engine before. It has a Stage 3 kit, K&N pods and V&H 4 into 1 pipe. I am thinking that there are more attractive options for me than the 10w-40 recommended in 1982. How about Delvac 1? I will keep OCI to 2,000 miles or less with a filter change annualy (4k miles). I am also considering returning her to the stock setup. TIA!

Either Amsoil MC oils, 10w-40 and 20w-50 or Mobil 1 V-Twin oil. Both have very good results in the bikes clutch and trans as well as lowering operating temps.

If the bike has a roller bearing crankshaft I would stick with the 10w-40.

A good HDEO 15W-40 is ideal for that bike. With the oil change interval you plan on using there is no reason to run synthetic.

Originally Posted By: XS650
A good HDEO 15W-40 is ideal for that bike. With the oil change interval you plan on using there is no reason to run synthetic.

+1

Wow, that brings back memories. Had one of those myownself. Kerker pipe, Lockhart cooler, Dyna III ignition, and a Wiseco decal on the side of the crankcase. Didn't have Wiseco pistons or anything, but, that decal sure got the guys' attention!!

King of the road!!, at least 'til Honda's V65 Sabre and Yamaha's V-Max showed up (until we got to the curves, that is).

That's probably the strongest basic I-4 MC engine design ever.
Buddy of mine has one that's now a 1352 (or some-such) with a Falicon crank that runs over 100 MPH in the 1/8 mile on dirt!!

At the OCI's you're talking about, about any 10-40 thru 20-50 will work well. Nothing wrong with a synthetic (like M1 15-50) if you're one of those who think they're just better (like me), and want to feel like you've treated your baby to the best!!
thumbsup2.gif
Any air-cooled engine always has the potential to see extreme heat, so, to me anyway, synthetics rule.

Keep it on mineral, no synthetic. Guys will wizz all over this but I've switched enough of those old bikes over to syn and had them seep at the gaskets. I still have a gs1100ez in my garage, BTW.

JetStar I used to have a 78gs1000 c model that looked just like the one you have there. Thanks for the pics. Looks great!

Originally Posted By: wileyE
Keep it on mineral, no synthetic. Guys will wizz all over this but I've switched enough of those old bikes over to syn and had them seep at the gaskets. I still have a gs1100ez in my garage, BTW.

You know, I read this a long time ago and so avoided synthetic. Then I read that it was only on the early batches of Mobil 1 and the problem had been resolved. So I tried it on my BMW K75s with 55K miles. The bike didn't leak a drop prior to switching oil. Now it leaks in several spots. Probably coincidence but I'm mulling over switching back to dino.

I actually bought one of those brand new in 82. Great bike btw. I used Bel-Ray EXP 20-50 and never had a problem. I did add an Derale oil cooler because I didn't like the high oil temps I got in traffic. The OE oil temp gauge was really useful.

Nice restoration Jetstar, she is a real beaut! I think I will definitely be going the HDEO route, I don't think the clutch will be an issue.

Originally Posted By: JosephH1
Nice restoration Jetstar, she is a real beaut! I think I will definitely be going the HDEO route, I don't think the clutch will be an issue.

If you have any doubt, just be sure the oil carries an Allison C4 rating. That's an Allison spec that includes wet clutch performance requirements. Most HDEOs meet that.

Wow, Jetstar, that really is a cherry job!!
thumbsup2.gif
Had one of those before getting the GS1100. What great bikes..

I really like the flat seat, and the relaxed footpeg location. The newer bikes have stepped seats that lock you into one spot, and my feet feel like they're back by the taillight. Getting old is no fun at times..
frown.gif

I use DELO 15w-40 year round in my GS1100GK. If you haven't already, swing over to the thegsresources.com and go through thier forums. Lots of good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back