Motors that keep going and going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some motors out there that seem to just go and go even when abused? I'm talking infrequent oil changes, no proper warm up time, and being driven like it was stolen, yet still can be driven across the country with no second thoughts? Of course, I would never treat my motor that way, but it would be nice knowing the vehicle's motor I'm driving can handle anything in its path.

I would have to second chevrofreak, I put 180k on a 94 cv that had been a police car with 100k when I bought it. I finally sold it at 280k to a friend who put another 40k on it before rust made it unsafe to drive. Aside from routine maintenance, it got a water pump, a set of idler pulleys and 2 alternators while I owned it.

x2 on the Jeep 4.0.

I'd also vote for the GM 60*V6 family of engines. I drove my '97 Monte with the 3100 to 195K miles, including starts in -20*F, frequent full throttle acceleration (it wasn't a very fast car, really), and many long distance trips and it never missed a beat. I did have to replace an intake gasket or two along the way, but other than that the motor was solid. When I pulled it open at 190K to change the gaskets, the inside of the engine looked like brand new. Sold it at 195K running perfectly, in retrospect I wish I'd held onto that car.

Ford Vulcan 3.0 V6
Ford Lima I4s
Jeep 4.0 I6
Ford 4.9 I6
Ford 5.0 V8
Ford 4.0 V6 (pushrod)

There are plenty of others from almost every brand, those are just the ones I have the most experience with.

My 2002 CR-V's K24A1 2.4l has been a great, if mild, engine. Oil gets changed 2-3 times a year but I did go one year with only one change and that was with dino.... It's had 6 years of stop and go with no worries. It's mostly driven by the wife who has no idea what proper warm up is. For her, warm up is back out the driveway and floor it.
LOL.gif

MB OM616 and 617 diesels. 500k is easy with changes, but 250-300k with poor service is easily doable too; given that they are purely mechanical engines, they will just run. 250-300k is more or less going and going for most folks.

The pre light weight casting G.M. motors were able to take abuse and keep on running. The Chry slant 6 and the Ford 300 were incredable I have lots of experience looking at them, other than oil changes and tuneups that is it.

GM 3800. I've seen many LeSabre's and Park Avenues with 250,000 miles (and up), still running great. Plus, they get great highway gas mileage.

Biggest issue (which is not a fault of the engine) is failure of the intake gasket.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
The two I have experience with:

Ford 4.6l V8
Jeep 4.0l I6

They keep going, and going, and going...

+1 on Jeep 4.0L I6. Sold a 92 Cherokee to my wife's cousin with 210,000 on it, original tranny etc. All it needed was a new radiator to solve an overheating problem it had. Now it is running great for him and he is hard on vehicles. 4 wheel drive still works great on it.

Worked for a Pest Control company who had a fleet of the F-150's with the 4.6 in it. Every one of those f-150's had in excess of 200K, with some in daily fleet use at 250K. The company swore by these trucks. This is in the Duluth, MN area that is tough on vehicles in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back