A little kerosene in the fuel tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see many of the fuel system cleaners have kerosene in them. Would just adding say 8 oz of kerosene every 3 months or so to a full tank of gas help keep everything clean? Will it hurt anything?

Won't be much different to normal additives, 'cept it misses the 10 or so percent of active additive rather than carrier.

Or would a naphtha based fuel like Coleman stove fuel work better as a solvent?

Dry cleaning fluid ?

It's the proprietary ingredients that do the work, the "solvents" are carriers to get it there and make measurement easier.

I would use a OTC fuel system cleaner. Then you get the whole package of chemicals, The R+D on the additives, And in the highly unlikely event of something going wrong(which it will not, just thorwing the last perk out there) you have a corperation to go after .

When I was a kid all the old farmers ran a mix of kerosene in all of their gas engines. This was before the popularity of gas additives that ended up using kerosene as a base. As I recall really the only additive that anyone used was Marvel Mystery Oil, which in itself is mainly kerosene.

Mainly from what I remember Kerosene was used to winterize the fuel, not to really clean it or anything.

Last edited:
If kerosene will clean the fuel system then my mower should be running like a top. Apparently, my wife wasn't aware that the blue can is for kerosene and she ran a full tank thru the lawn mower last week. It ran fine and still does although it's filled with gas now. No apparent harm done.

At least my wife now knows about fuel can color coding.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: kingrob

As I recall really the only additive that anyone used was Marvel Mystery Oil, which in itself is mainly kerosene.

Mainly from what I remember Kerosene was used to winterize the fuel, not to really clean it or anything.

Is that accurate ... that MMO is mostly kerosene ?

LOL! running kero mix in gasoline engine isn't gonna help you maintain your gasoline engine clean, fuel injectors clean, etc. If it does so, then why on earth would there be FI cleaners such as PEA, and such to be introduced to begin with?

Just like liquid laundry detergent with water in it as carrier, using kerosene variants in FI cleaner is in form of carrier, that's it. Again, just like water in laundry detergent: it doesn't not instantly imply that water is going to perform the same kind of cleaning to your soiled clothes like detergent dies (and neither does containing kerosene in FI cleaner implies that it kero will clean your injectors).

Again, treat this with caution for with ever so stringent EPA mandates, etc. to keep fossel fueled automobiles pollution under control, adding something other than formulated automobile pump grade gasoline into your OBD-II vehicle may throw the computer out of wack, causing all sorts of difficulties, errors, etc. (again, totally dependent on how sensitive your systems are).

That's why all these crazy ideas such as adding WD40 into gas tank, running kero through your gas, etc. only floats around the internet and rarely do you see a proper mechanic takes these tricks seriously.

***personally, I'm indifferent about these tricks...***

banana2.gif
LOL.gif

My 2c's worth. YMMV and the consequences of burning out/error out your OBD-II system is all yours, not mine.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Winn
Is that accurate ... that MMO is mostly kerosene ?

I don't know specifically about MMO, but yeah, probably. Most fuel/oil additives are mostly kerosene or other common solvent, especially the ones that have been around forever.

straight from the the MMO MSDS, interpret it as you wish

COMPONENT (wt %)
Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 70 – 80
Mineral Spirits 20 – 30
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 0 – 1

Originally Posted By: tom slick

straight from the the MMO MSDS, interpret it as you wish

COMPONENT (wt %)
Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 70 – 80
Mineral Spirits 20 – 30
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 0 – 1

Thanks, but I'd prefer to interpret it properly ...

And since I don't know what Naphthenic Hydrocarbons or Chlorinated Hydrocarbons are, and/or how they relate to kerosene (if at all), any further input would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Quest
LOL! running kero mix in gasoline engine isn't gonna help you maintain your gasoline engine clean, fuel injectors clean, etc. If it does so, then why on earth would there be FI cleaners such as PEA, and such to be introduced to begin with?

Just like liquid laundry detergent with water in it as carrier, using kerosene variants in FI cleaner is in form of carrier, that's it. Again, just like water in laundry detergent: it doesn't not instantly imply that water is going to perform the same kind of cleaning to your soiled clothes like detergent dies (and neither does containing kerosene in FI cleaner implies that it kero will clean your injectors).

Again, treat this with caution for with ever so stringent EPA mandates, etc. to keep fossel fueled automobiles pollution under control, adding something other than formulated automobile pump grade gasoline into your OBD-II vehicle may throw the computer out of wack, causing all sorts of difficulties, errors, etc. (again, totally dependent on how sensitive your systems are).

That's why all these crazy ideas such as adding WD40 into gas tank, running kero through your gas, etc. only floats around the internet and rarely do you see a proper mechanic takes these tricks seriously.

***personally, I'm indifferent about these tricks...***

banana2.gif
LOL.gif

My 2c's worth. YMMV and the consequences of burning out/error out your OBD-II system is all yours, not mine.

Q.

+1
Very well thought out statement!!!!

And since I don't know what Naphthenic Hydrocarbons or Chlorinated Hydrocarbons are, and/or how they relate to kerosene (if at all), any further input would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Easy! In layman's terms: it's just a hydrocarbon based carrier.

Anything else is not important in my dictionary.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest

Thanks again.

Easy! In layman's terms: it's just a hydrocarbon based carrier.

Anything else is not important in my dictionary.

Q.

Which means nothing to me ...

And by the way, you need to work on your communication skills ...

Anyone else ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back