Criteria used to know that an additive is working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What criteria do you use to claim that gasoline Additive "A" is working? Also, what criteria do you use to claim that Additive "A" is working better than Additive "B"?

As for myself, I treat each tank of gasoline with Lucas UCL because it produces a smoother idle and the engine seems to reach speed with less effort. I also add a bottle of Redline SI-1 or Amsoil PI to the tank of gas that is used before each oil change. My cars are still too new (2006 Pilot & 2007 Civic) to justify pulling a spark plug, so I am not sure how well the SI-1 or PI clean in my application at this point.

I wish that there were some pictures available of the combustion chambers from engines that had/had not used a fuel system treatment. Seems like this would be an excellent marketing tool for the companies that make the various additive products.

Last edited:
Quote:

Seems like this would be an excellent marketing tool for the companies that make the various additive products.

Extend this to OTC oil additives as well; the lack of "pictures" probably tells you a lot....

Pull a spark plug. What does the car's age have to do with it?
But I'm not sure you need such a good strong cleaner so often.

Yea, useing Lucas all the time, then a WHOLE bottle of redline every OCI is way WAY to much in my opinion. The detergents in todays gas is allmost good enough to keep things clean. I have used one bottle of redline to clean things out. now I use 1/4 the bottle every 6-7 thousand miles. If that.

I would not want that much cleaner in my car for that long.

If you need Lucas treatment to keep a smooth idle, you have underlying problems that should be fixed not "covered up"

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Yea, useing Lucas all the time, then a WHOLE bottle of redline every OCI is way WAY to much in my opinion. The detergents in todays gas is allmost good enough to keep things clean. I have used one bottle of redline to clean things out. now I use 1/4 the bottle every 6-7 thousand miles. If that.

I would not want that much cleaner in my car for that long.

If you need Lucas treatment to keep a smooth idle, you have underlying problems that should be fixed not "covered up"

Why would using a bottle of Redline SI-1 prior to each oil change be too much? That practice is what folks have touted on this board for a long time, albeit usually with Regane or Amsoil PI. As for Lucas UCL, my engine is still fairly new and it is a four cylinder. Four cylinder engines almost always tend to idle rougher than their six and eight cylinder counterparts. The smoother idle is noticeable, but not earth shattering. I don't view using Lucas UCL as a bad thing, especially since it contains no solvents. The Lucas UCL supposedly provides the gasoline with added lubricity and keeps the injectors clean. I use the SI-1 to remove combustion chamber deposits.

The lucas cleans deposits.

Once its clean its clean. no need to keep adding all those chemicals. If you find good results with the lucas, I would keep useing it in moderation.

But cut the redline out. The lucas will keep things spotless.

All those chemicals non stop cant be good for the fuel sysytem and lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back