The SUV is Dead, R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SUV gave the Big 3 quick profits and kept them from developing vehicles that would serve them well when fuel prices went up. I won't miss them at all.

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
You see some real messy hits here. My wife has a SUV that helps protect her good side from a hit. She gets hurt on her left side she's dead in the water. I take the great nephew to school 4 days a week and the F-150 protects us.

In some ways the mass of a pickup or SUV offers protection. But overall, you're essentially trading away some risks, while taking on new ones. Such vehicles are far more roll over prone than cars, for example. And the previous generation F-150 is known specifically for NOT doing a very good job protecting its occupants. Click here for IIHS summary. As for side impacts, I'm alive today because the 2002 Camry I was driving had the then-optional side curtain airbags. I got T-Boned by a Tahoe whose driver estimated he was doing 40 mph. IMO, I'd be more concerned with whether my car had side curtains and bags instead of how big it is. If you get T-Boned by ANYTHING heavier than a moped that's got some speed on it, you're in trouble whether you're in a Geo Metro or a Suburban.

One way or another, the SUV as we've known it is probably on its way out. From a safety perspective, that's good in some ways, and made all the better because cars are now being made with structural integrity and safety features (like curtains) that have never been offered until very recently.

Honestly, I think it's great that SUVs have fallen out of popularity. Maybe now they can return to their roots instead of being glorified cars with little off road capability.

...and as I've said before, we're entering a golden age if you happen to be a plumber, electrician, carpenter, etc. These guys are going to have access to a flood of cheap (but nicely equipped) used work vehicles for years to come.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
I'll have the wife pick me up an A1 Abrams from where she works. Full protection and parking is not a problem. lol

What oil are you going to use?

One of the M1's problems is that it's fuel hog, even considering it's a 70 ton tank. It would cost lot less to run with a diesel even if diesel is more expensive.

The gas turbine made some sense considering what engines were available when it was designed. It doesn't now.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I was just looking at a used '05 Range Rover the other day.
27.gif

Don't get me wrong, I've been eying 3-4 year old Jeep Grand Cherokees lately. You can get some bargain basement deals on top of the line vehicles now that they've fallen out of fashion.

There is a used car lot down the street from me where everything is $5 grand or less. It's 75% pickup trucks and SUVs that 1 year ago were the king of the road.

There is actually quite a few nice trucks down there, F-150 and Grand Cherokees out the wazzoo...

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
27.gif

Don't get me wrong, I've been eying 3-4 year old Jeep Grand Cherokees lately. You can get some bargain basement deals on top of the line vehicles now that they've fallen out of fashion.

Yup, went and test drove an '04 Excursion diesel the other day. Prices are nice and cheap.

Hey it's good exercise getting into it. lol I tried having my wife get an Excursion since it feels like my F-150 but she got a chick car-Explorer.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
27.gif

Yup, went and test drove an '04 Excursion diesel the other day. Prices are nice and cheap.

Gawd, that RR was NICE!!! Had to smack myself hard to keep me from buying it. I realize fuel prices will eventually go back UP, so I'll keep driving the GTI for a while.

Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
Am I the only one without short man syndrome?
I never needed a big fat suv,and never saw more than one person driving/traveling in one.
Mostly for fat folks.
lol

I grew up with big cars (we've never owned a Japanese vehicle except for my wife briefly owning a Mazda Precidia) and I LIKE big cars and trucks. I have three young children, I have a vehement hatred for vans, and so something larger, like an Excursion or Expedition seems to be a good choice, as my wife really likes them too. But the Excursion has a diesel, and a better towing capacity, and given the prices right now, it seems to be the better choice.

I used to own an Explorer, and I cannot picture trying to cram three kids into the back seat of that for long trips.

It's crazy I know, but there are people out there who just hate small cars. I drove my good friend's Corolla back from Kitchener yesterday (a three hour drive) and I developed a rather strong dislike for the car during that trip. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I'm the opposite, my family is all about small cars. I drive a Metro, dad drives a Firefly, mom drives a Swift. My brother (who drives an SUV, last I saw) says Suzuki should be sending us Christmas cards wishing us a profitable new year.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back