Oil for foam air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda 2000i generator's foam air filter calls for straight 30 weight engine oil. Is there any reason I can't use a multi viscosity one such as Mobil 1 5w-30? Is there any 'better' choices out there? Thanks a lot.

Multi Vis will work, but there are better choices. You want a tacky oil.

Twin Air makes a couple. Kind of expensive though. Let me know if you have trouble finding a good one.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Multi Vis will work, but there are better choices. You want a tacky oil.

Twin Air makes a couple. Kind of expensive though. Let me know if you have trouble finding a good one.

Do you consider K&N air filter oil (red) a good one? Thanks again.

Straight 30 weight. Not that higher wouldn't work, its just easy to find a decent 30 for cheap. I've used bar oil with success as well. As long as the foam is cleaned and fresh oil applied with regularity, I can't see it mattering as long as the oil isn't absolutely water-thin.

I like PJ1 foam filter oil but I have also used a lot of Bel-Ray. Foam Filter oil is very different from motor oil or bar oil. For a generator it might no make much difference.

What kind of differences are there? I use a lot of foam filters and pre-filters and would be interested in getting some of this stuff. This is the first time I've ever heard of filter oil.

Foam filter oils, specifically motorcycle or ATV filter oils are extremely tacky, more then bar oil. they also stay suspended in the filter. Foam filter oil is not the same as K&N filter oil. they typically only wash out with solvent such as mineral spirits, soap and water doesn't break it down.
your local powersports dealer will have a multitude of oils.

here are a few
http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=13630
http://www.twinairusa.com/products/oil.html
http://www.rockymountainmc.com/typeDetail.do

Was just about to say use Motocross filter oil , it's the best there is !! My preference would be BelRay.

Well I am yet to find these foam air filter specific oils (Canada) and when I do I am sure they'll cost an arm and a leg. So speaking of alternatives:
- chainsaw bar oil
- heavy gear oil (70-90 weigth)

I have been using gear oil. Can anyone suggest which alternative would be better? Is chainsaw bar oil stickier than the heavy gear oil?

thanks

The foam filter oils are available from any motorcycle shop or anyone that stocks MX/off road oils. Even all the car parts places here stock foam filter oil.

If you really, really can't find any, I'd opt for heavy chain oil (it often comes in two weights, summer and winter) as the chain oil should be tackier than gear lube.

I've just bought some Silkolene in a pressure can for the flocked filter in a chainsaw (too much dust getting through the dry element) and it'll get used on the brush cutter filter and mower pre-filter too.

I have used PJ1 super tacky foam oil filter oil and its companion cleaner for years on my ATV. I have tried other kinds, but it seemed like the PJ1 was the stickiest and really stayed on the filter well. I think I paid about 7.50 for a bottle that lasted quite awhile.

i'd use the recommended motor oil, or close to it(like 10/30 or whatever u have)for "normal" operating conditions.Ive seen many honda manuals recomend this. That belray stuff looks good but ive never used it. The problem i find with alot of the popular sprays (like pj...), is they spray "spotty", and u have to soak a filter to get it all covered.Using something more sticky/tacky/restrictive than recommended could be exactly that...restrictive. K&N oil is not foam friendly.It is made for gauze and seems to get spotty after even application on foam.

I ride my dirt bikes in Ocala National Forest (think sugar sand) The foam airfilters last about half a day. Then they are clogged with fine sand/dust. I used to use the ultra tacky dirt bike products, which are so tacky, you cannot wash it off your hands or the filter element. Even with strong grease cutting products.

Using gasoline or solvent to clean the filter generally swells up the foam filter, making it useless.

I switched to regular motor oil. What ever I had on hand. Multi grade, straight 30 or 40. Really whatever I had.

I noticed that the carb intake boot/manifold was just as clean with the motor oil as with the dirt bike specific products. In fact, the inside of the filter is also spotless. It is doing it's job.

I understand this is not scientific, however, the motor oil clearly attracts and holds dirt very well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back