floor pump recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old floor pump doesn't work as well anymore as it is worn out. I'm looking to buy a new floor pump for bike and car use. I don't need an expensive Silca pump, just average priced ~$30-$40. I use schrader valves mainly so rarely I use the presta. Would the dual head or a smart head type be better? Any suggestions, thanks.

I use a two cylinder Hella pump for my car and bike tires. That pump handles easily the 100 psi that I often run in my MTB tires. The pump is now about 10 years old. It cost about $50 back then. It works only with Schrader valves (or with a valve adaptor). It looks like this one:

a421k5.jpg

got a Husky cig lighter powered compressor for $25 about 5 years ago. Works great, not sure how high you can take the psi but it sure is easier than trying to increase the psi by 3-4 on an SUV's tire than standing there pumping for forever.

I'd had liked to buy a goldenrod air pump, but they dont make them anymore - can't compete on price with the imports...

Anyway, Id love to get a dual cylinder foot pump like that hella item. Any idea where i could get one? Most foot pumps Ive seen are just junk, flimsy and lousy. If youve used that one for 10 years, it must be half decent.

Not to say it hasnt changed since then...

Thanks,

JMH

I use Topeak pumps. They have a floor pump with selectable volume chambers. It'll pump a tire fast, then you switch it to build the pressure. It has a smart head. Probably was 70 bucks. I bought it at the same time as my shock pump, so I don't know exactly what it cost.

The Hella allows using one or two cylinders, depending on how much of a workout you want and how much time you have.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I don't break a sweat anymore, but it sure is loud........

Some day your hearing will diminish.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Ah nothing beats the noise of the $10 walmart Cambell Hausefield 12 volt cigg lighter set up.

I don't break a sweat anymore, but it sure is loud........

I do some autocross racing and I think these type of pumps last for about 30-40 car tires pumped to 45 psi... Usually they overheat and melt the hose where it attaches to the cylinder or just not pump anymore. I guess for most people they last long enough but I'm looking for a 200+ tire manual pump. Also some thing that will do 120 psi for the road bike would be good too.
Ian

When I use my bike floor pump to fill car tires, I find it takes about 5 strokes for 1 psi increase. The ones that are taller and/or have a wider barrel probably fills the tire faster. Most bicycle pumps can pump up to 160psi.

It looks like that Topeak pump has a semi-rigid plastic hose. On a pump, a soft hose is preferable, in my opinion.

PS: !!!

The Topeak JoeBlow Ace is about $100. Haven't seen it in store yet, it looks like a decent pump. The gauge mounted on the bottom makes a bit hard to see, it would be nice if it was on top.

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem with upright pumps is that they always fall over due to some unforeseeable circumstances.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Any idea where i could get one?

ebay

Is there a part number or any such thing? Im not seeing such a thing...

Every other foot pump Ive tried is flimsy, so if this one is good, Im happy to purchase... assuming I can find it.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back